Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Magnus Angus

Rich Man's vice
« on: 05/03/2014 at 18:47 »
Phil Holding has managed to persuade Lawrence Waldron to make a few more LAW Bench vices

http://www.flytyingboutique.com/LAW.cfm#.UxdbVoVFVPI

Expensive but oh so desirable!

Hamish Young

Re: Rich Man's vice
« Reply #1 on: 05/03/2014 at 18:58 »
Cough..... jings  :shock

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 05/03/2014 at 20:05 »
Just ordered one , thanks!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 05/03/2014 at 20:40 »
Apart from the obvious quality and the fact that they are hand made, I really don't get the attraction.  Beautiful things but as a vice I'm not convinced that they are any better than many other things out there.

Cheers

Ben
(proud owner and abuser of several Veniard No.4 Spring levers)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 06/03/2014 at 14:59 »
£2000!

£400 in 1989, £460 in 2007, £2000 in 2014.

Must be the recession ;)

This is the vice I want...stunning quality and great that it converts to a tube vice. For 360 euros its got to be a bargin.

http://www.artisticflies.com/COTTARELLI_VISE/COTTARELLI_VISE.html

Will Shaw

« Reply #5 on: 06/03/2014 at 16:36 »
Wow. £2k! Bit steep for me.

Ben, same as with fly rods I guess. The very very best may give you what, +5-10% performance for say 4-5 times the price. It's a personal choice as to whether it's worth it.

I doubt anyone buying this vice will expect their flies to turn out three times better than their £650 quid one. They'll be splurging because, (1) it looks great (2) it feels great, and (3) it says something about their seriousness as a fly tyer and (4) any of a thousand other emotional responses that make us buy things we don't really need but can easily afford.

Will

suki1312

Re: Re: Rich Man's vice
« Reply #6 on: 08/03/2014 at 21:53 »
Must say they are smashing looking vices , but far from 2k worth . I personally  think that the maker and the seller are extracting the urine . But when it comes to fooling the public the rainbow basher brigade are easy parted with there cash . ( Owner of a scottie weaver for countless years ) :D

Magnus Angus

« Reply #7 on: 08/03/2014 at 22:33 »
...and they are all sold.

Barry Robertson

Re: Re: Rich Man's vice
« Reply #8 on: 08/03/2014 at 23:06 »
But when it comes to fooling the public the rainbow basher brigade are easy parted with there cash . ( Owner of a scottie weaver for countless years ) :D

What does that mean  :z8

Peter McCallum

« Reply #9 on: 09/03/2014 at 01:19 »
Don't think many rainbow bashers will be buying Waldron's. If you were looking at the guys on tyers row at the BFFI this year the most prevelant vice type would be a waldron. And of  those who didn't bring a waldron many have one at home.

Many anglers pay £600+ for one rod (they may have several costing that much) and nobody makes comment. The LAW vice is as near a bespoke precision machine as you can get, so it is desirable therefore it costs. It won't make you a better tyer than if you used a weaver, or any other vice for that matter, its just nice to use some quality craftsmanship if you can.

Magnus Angus

« Reply #10 on: 09/03/2014 at 02:15 »
"Many anglers pay £600+ for one rod (they may have several costing that much) and nobody makes comment."

Aye the same whiny dullards will comment Peter. As for rod prices - and the rest - Hardy Artisan DH rod £1600 - top models from Sage or Guideline DH rod £900 - Bruce and Walker Double Speycaster £1400. I can name a few modern cane rod builders who will charge you £2000 to £5000 per rod. Oh and I can find you dealers selling veteran cane rods made by a very elite group of builders for more thousands than that!

The LAW is an exceptional vice and very few were made. I was really surprised to hear Phil Holding had managed to get Lawrence working again - he had firmly retired! Lawrence had no desire to start making vices again so if this funds another saltwater trip for him - good for him!
We knew LAW vices were worth much more used than when they were bought new because a couple were sold at auction in the last year or so. I'm not sure what the sale of new LAW vices does to the value of those already out there but I sort of think the high price asked preserves the value of those already in circulation. I'd also speculate that a couple if not all  of these new vices will be treated more as collectors items than working vices.

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 09/03/2014 at 07:45 »
I'd also speculate that a couple if not all  of these new vices will be treated more as collectors items than working vices.

And that is a great shame indeed, it's nice to preserve things for the sake of posterity in a collection but if it was designed to be used - to be useful - then it should be, or at least given the chance to be.
If I had the necessary coin kicking around to buy such a thing, without batting an eye at the price tag, then what I did with 'my' LAW would be my business..... chances are I'd be too busy fishing in Tierra del Fuego or somewhere equally on my wish list than tying flies...... even on a £2k vice.

H :cool:

Peter Harsagyi

« Reply #12 on: 16/03/2014 at 22:37 »
I sold my LAW,

and that was my stupidest move in my entire FF-related life.

...it IS the most perfect vise, really. one has to use it to understand it.

it is simply boringly perfect.

that's why I sold it.  :roll

...AND:  I was thinking that the actual resale- price will be a cure for my temporary income-crisis...S T U P I D.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 17/03/2014 at 07:27 »
even on a £2k vice.

Which is the issue..its A £460 vice (last retail price, but lets say £800 if we are generous and say materials have gone up in price) which is being sold for £2k. Hey ho.

And that is why no one complains about a £600 rod (I have several way over that price) because a £600 rod has a retail price of £600, not £2000.

Just a thought.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #14 on: 17/03/2014 at 14:53 »
A £600 rod is a £600 rod, sorry rob it aint its about £50 of materials & labour & a shit load of profit.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com