Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

The build has started...
« on: 04/03/2014 at 17:42 »
First things first, I needed to get my butt into shape. Final sanding tonight before I start on the grip.

Ben Dixon

Re: The build has started...
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/2014 at 17:45 »
Please tell me you're not going to put that butt plug on a 4wt Rob?  I've seen smaller butts on 12wts!  :z4

How's the lathe working out?

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 05/03/2014 at 07:35 »
Glued up and ready to file/sand.

After(ish) without any filler etc.

And sort of complete. Need to do a little more fine sanding as the cork was not as good a quality as I had hopped for.

And yes Ben, that butt is on a 4 weight. Its turned to exactly fit along my fore arm in the perfect balance point. The foregrip is slightly shorter too so that I can put my index finger directly on the blank. The 3 rings at the top are exactly where my thumg sits to give me a bit more feel as well. Feels really nice in the had and with the reel (and taped on rings) the balance is exactly where I want it.

Excuse the photos, they are off the phone. The last photo distorts the handle and makes my butt look bigger!  :X2

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 06/03/2014 at 07:34 »
Cool Rob,

Be interested to see it when it is finished.

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 06/03/2014 at 08:05 »
Be interested to see it when it is finished.
#

I did not get much done last night as I was playing around with trim bands and weaves to come up with something a little different but not to blingy.

I think I may just use simple whippings as the rings are blingy as it is. and then do some weaving on the butt and joints.

To be continued.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 17/03/2014 at 07:37 »
Finally got round to whipping the thing. Olive tree butt wrap and plain old black whipping on the rings (Chrome Alconites). I had done accent rings and single thread inlays but the more I looked at it the more I thought it was too OTT.

Not to everyones taste, and I am still crap at writing on rods...buts its mine, and no one else will have one like it :)

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 17/03/2014 at 08:39 »
Looks very nice Rob and I get the whole no-one else will have one like it thinking  :z16 That said the rings look 'interesting' to me, they look quite .... how shall I put this..... "retro" :?

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 17/03/2014 at 09:21 »
That said the rings look 'interesting' to me, they look quite .... how shall I put this..... "retro" :?

Interesting as they are one of the latest and lightest rings on the market for fly rods :) Not quite as light as the titaniums Ben used but still lighter than a snake guide.

It has been built for nylon/braid/french leaders when nymphing so I wanted extremely small rings, lots of them and something that will stand up to years of abuse :) The guides on the tip are affa wee :)

Thanks for the kind comments though.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com