Yen

Ben Dixon

Re: One for Ben
« Reply #1 on: 03/03/2014 at 23:48 »
Nice Iain, very nice  :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 04/03/2014 at 07:34 »
Question for you Iain, will the tails cause the arse of the fly to sit in rather than under the surface or they heavy enough to push through the surface tension?

Very nice though...very nice indeed.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2014 at 09:53 »
Very nice Iain.  Watch the curved hooks though, the shorter steeper curve on the YK4 / B100 gub acts as a better 'keel' and cuts through the surface better, that way you know it'll be fishing as you want it each time and not lying on it's side.  That said if you can see it's fishing correctly then the curve of these hooks give a crackin profile, best thing to do it simply try them.  :z16

Rob if you wet the tail with spit before you apply any floatant to the wing section it'll cut through just fine (taking ito account what i've just said above).

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 04/03/2014 at 11:56 »
Rob if you wet the tail with spit before you apply any floatant to the wing section it'll cut through just fine (taking ito account what i've just said above).

I was thinking the same as you with the length of the shank when commenting on the tail. Long shank and long tail makes for a floaty fly :)

Klink and dink with a blob below? ;) Those wee burn trout love a blob you know :)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 04/03/2014 at 13:45 »
Iain,

After looking at it again, the guys are right.  I reckon some bug bond on the the tails would be an idea as this would ensure the abdomen abdomen penetrates the film so the fly fishes correctly.  I'd agree re the hooks if, it was possible to get a big enough B100!!

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 04/03/2014 at 14:26 »
I'd agree re the hooks if, it was possible to get a big enough B100!!

How big do you want? I have upto a size 2 :)  look for a Kamasan B275, come in barbed or barbless.

Identical shape to the B100. Don't be put off by the fact they are a carp hook, they are a light gauge wire. Seen them used for Mayfly Nymphs before.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 04/03/2014 at 15:22 »
Too heavy Rob, look more at Partridge (i had to say that really eh?) Czech Nymph or Czech Nymph Fine 12 - 18 for big flees (see my mayflees / daddies i tied for Hamish last week).

Keep the dubbing sparse as well for 'under the surface' work and if possible use Orvis superfine keeping the rabbit / hare / squirrel stuff for thorax. (Not saying you can't use this stuff for body, just keep it very fine if you do).  Also build up underbody in thread which helps keep out any unwanted air and give a bit of 'bite' to the hook.

Phew and this style of fly supposed to be simple as well.  :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 04/03/2014 at 16:35 »
I like them as they are to be honest, keep it up Iain - I'd fish with them  :z16

:cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 04/03/2014 at 17:07 »
Too heavy Rob, look more at Partridge (i had to say that really eh?) Czech Nymph or Czech Nymph Fine 12 - 18 for big flees

I forgot about the stupidly large Partridge Czech Nymph hooks, good call, although the fine version has been a pig to me, with lots of lost fish. I presume its the hook openning in the fight under pressure. The standards have yet to lose me a fish.

Back to the B725 (not 725  :oops), these are what I use for "Carp Klinks". They are a very light hook and when dressed as a klink they float well.  :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 04/03/2014 at 18:08 »

You guys must think I'm a one sea winter fish (that's my terminology for someone who is new to this fishing malarkey - use it away, but remember where you heard it first)

I do this dry fly stuff for a livin'

read it and weep hommies.

Ludwig

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 04/03/2014 at 18:18 »
Awesome  :wink

Peter McCallum

« Reply #12 on: 04/03/2014 at 18:28 »
Nice fly Iain, couldn't see the tails( are they hair or PT fibres)causing too much problem, indeed if they were PT then they'll be torn off after a few fish  :z4

Liam Stephen

« Reply #13 on: 04/03/2014 at 18:44 »
Nice one Iain dude!  :z16

Liam

Ben Dixon

« Reply #14 on: 04/03/2014 at 18:45 »
You guys must think I'm a one sea winter fish (that's my terminology for someone who is new to this fishing malarkey - use it away, but remember where you heard it first)

I do this dry fly stuff for a livin'

read it and weep hommies.

Ludwig

Wondered how long it would take  :z4

Nice fly Iain, couldn't see the tails( are they hair or PT fibres)causing too much problem, indeed if they were PT then they'll be torn off after a few fish  :z4

For that very reason Pete, I'd put money on it being CDL or something like it, can't quite make it out (Iain, see Noel for fotographery lessons)

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com