Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

How small is small?
« on: 02/03/2014 at 21:20 »
Hi Guys  :z16

Tying some flies up tonight had me thinking how small do you really need to go? I've been tying some size 16 GRHE and PTNs which to my eye are pretty small. I might go down to 18 on my nymphs, not sure if its really necessary though? My dries will range from mostly 12-16 with the occasional size 18 here and there with the only size 20 being a tiny black klink if I can manage that small....  :roll

From memory most of my fish were caught on size 14 flies.

Would be interesting to hear how small you guys tie for the Don.

Cheers
Liam

Allan Liddle

Re: How small is small?
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/2014 at 09:49 »
Not so sure on the Don Liam, but 18's about as wee as i go on the Deveron.  that said i did fish 20's when trying out some French Nymph stuff a while back, but i didnae catch anythin on them  :z4

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 04/03/2014 at 09:53 »
I'm going to stick with 12-18s I can't tie any smaller at the moment. How guys can tie micro patterns is beyond me...   :z16

Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2014 at 12:00 »
I tied up some Caenis on size 18 and 20 hooks to fish Loriston. When the Caenis are hatching it becomes very difficult!

Anyway, they were tied "spent" with poly yarn wings tied in figure of 8 style. The body was just white (or lime green) thread and the tail was a few white hackle fibers.

Easy to tie and the lime green ones seemed to work the best.  :z8

F-Flies are easy(ish) in small sizes too.

Anything more "creative" I leave to someone else to tie.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 04/03/2014 at 13:48 »
Would be interesting to hear how small you guys tie for the Don.

hi Liam

14s & 16s most of the time.

I do have some wee midgey, spidery things on 18s - basically a puff of dubbing and a partridge hackle, maybe a rib of fine pearly stuff for bling, fished just sub surface- works ok in smoother water where i've noticed fish rising to drowned midges.

Buying a magnifying lens attachment for my vice was a very good idea - really helps keep the flies sparse & light if they look HUGE while you are tying them

cheers
iain

Allan Liddle

« Reply #5 on: 04/03/2014 at 15:23 »
Just throw a brick in and more onto an easier target.  :wink  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com