Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Magnus Angus

Re: Marc Petitjean dry
« Reply #30 on: 26/02/2014 at 22:23 »
Ben

100% agree! Shoot 40 or 50 flies on white in one session and you get desperate for some variety :)

Iain

I thought this was a wind up when I stumbled on it - the guy is genuine - and an inspiration! His technique is so simple.

from http://www.thomasshahan.com/

He uses the sort of gear we already have...or less...

Iain Goolager

« Reply #31 on: 26/02/2014 at 22:27 »
Eye of the beholder an' all that but the crop shows too shallow a DOF for such a bushy style of fly and I'm sure does little justice to a nice tying?

I see the eye is the point of focus and the fly's angle tapers away towards the hook bend, perhaps I'm wrong but it looks like one of many general snaps that a guy would take of tied flies at a show if he wasn't looking for any specific effect......................... then again the eye, red head, JC and some of the fibres are on the 'in focus plane' so maybe it's what the guy wanted, is it your shot?

Iain

Magnus Angus

« Reply #32 on: 26/02/2014 at 22:49 »
Hi Iain

Yep, the dabbler was the last picture in a tying sequence so the effect is always going to be different. The idea is you get to know the fly step by step. I like that some of the fly is out of plane, adds some depth...

The cruncher was a fly from a sequence but is not part of the sequence - sort of a fly portrait I suppose - very static, very stylized. Those of us who tie flies normally see flies that way - right handed tyers anyway - so I think of that as 'the good side' of a fly - seems to hold true a lot of the time.

This uses a style, on white (yawn) low angle, shot from the front, so the fly is receding into the surface of the page...again a different effect and not really aimed to be analyzed by Ben for tying tips...we normally shoot a tying stage separately for that one.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #33 on: 26/02/2014 at 22:51 »
Cracking macro video.

AH! I have just looked out my Roundabout NP Pano head and if folded and fitted to the tripod centre ( set at 90 deg's) has a rail with adjustable q/release plate that should assist no end. Champion.

All I need is a hatch, a fridge & some free time.

You know it! keep it real!

Iain

Magnus Angus

« Reply #34 on: 26/02/2014 at 22:57 »
That macro was take 'freehand' no tripod and a setup that can't really focus, just move the whole lot in an out to find focus, and the insect is in the wild, no chilling. He uses a home made softbox on a flash so the exposure will always be the same. All pretty simple and reasonably primitive so he concentrates on the bug.

Incidentally he stopped chilling bugs when some died. 

Iain Goolager

« Reply #35 on: 26/02/2014 at 23:05 »
Yup, have heard of 'giving a fly a sense of depth' and as said IF this is the intention AND as a resultant 'life shot' after an SBS the it'd work.
 Along the same lines (or conversely in fact) I shot a Silver Vermin fly recently on a white ('yawn' to you 'new' to me  :z6) background and PS'd the shadow out................what an absolute lifeless boring heap of horridness - so artificial - binned the shot.

What is the in vogue method of holding a fly? I remember your Royal Wulff on a rod handle against a yellow background, seemed unlikely to me at first but in the flesh it worked so well I used yellow as a backdrop for many of my flies. Just goes to show how little I know.

Respect 'innit

Iain

Magnus Angus

« Reply #36 on: 26/02/2014 at 23:12 »
The vogue?  :z4

You need to ask someone young and trendy about that....Ben perhaps...he might know someone young....

Having said I dislike blue backgrounds :)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #37 on: 26/02/2014 at 23:41 »
Magnus,

You maybe picked me up wrong, I was not analysing the tying.  My comments were squarely aimed at the way the picture was taken.  I prefer that to the white background and even the dark stuff on the fly shows up well.

Cheers
Ben

Magnus Angus

« Reply #38 on: 27/02/2014 at 00:51 »
Hi Ben

Sorry, I just put your name in there, I shouldn't have implied anything about how you see pictures of a fly - my bad.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com