Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Re: Filling my box
« Reply #30 on: 20/03/2014 at 13:02 »
Take two.

Thorax may still be a bit spare. I am happy with the slender body though. Is my wing positioning better or should it be a little further back?

Cheers
Liam

Allan Liddle

« Reply #31 on: 20/03/2014 at 13:50 »
That's better, maybe slightly further back (third way along hook shank from eye is about right).
Thorax is ok, tad more fur required, if you over-dress then simply brush it out again.

I'd happily fish this though, tidy fly Liam  :z16

Peter McCallum

« Reply #32 on: 20/03/2014 at 15:13 »
If you're doing them in 14's & 16's Liam try replacing the deer with snowshoe for the wing. It's a really strong high floating material

Allan Liddle

« Reply #33 on: 20/03/2014 at 15:35 »
14's still good with deer hair, agree 16's and upwards re snowshoe.  However when dropping in sizes i prefer the Dirty Duster style.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #34 on: 20/03/2014 at 15:51 »
Question for Dryflee and Rabbitangler...is there any reason not to use aero wing or similar to create the wing?

More for spotting it rather than any other reason?

Cheers

Liam Stephen

« Reply #35 on: 20/03/2014 at 16:46 »
If you're doing them in 14's & 16's Liam try replacing the deer with snowshoe for the wing. It's a really strong high floating material

Thanks Peter I plan to do that. What Snowshoe would you recommend?

14's still good with deer hair, agree 16's and upwards re snowshoe.  However when dropping in sizes i prefer the Dirty Duster style.
[/quote

I plan to tie the DHE in 12-16 and DD in 16-18 if I can find a suitable grub hook in 18.

Question for Dryflee and Rabbitangler...is there any reason not to use aero wing or similar to create the wing?

More for spotting it rather than any other reason?

Cheers

Rob I was thinking of tying in a hank of Aero-wing behind a sparser deer hair wing. I think it could come in handy in certain light conditions.

Cheers
Liam

Liam Stephen

« Reply #36 on: 20/03/2014 at 17:22 »
Keeping with the emerger theme. I came across this one by Bob Wyatt the Wee Hair Emerger. I fancy it dropped off the back of a DHE as a wee nymph. Thanks to Dryflee for the idea.

A super simple fly, my kind of fly.

Cheers
Liam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com