Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Beats and Flies for early May
« on: 21/02/2014 at 12:05 »
Hi all,

Hoping for some advice! My pal and I used to fish the Don a lot - but about 25 years ago ! We used to fish Kildrummy, Glenkindie and some of the water further up (cut my teeth as a teenager on the waters of Nochty).

Have managed to get a few days off and booked into Briggies at Cock Bridge for a couple of nights - leaving 3 days for fishing for me and the mentioned pal.

We certainly want to give Kildrummy a go for a day - but wondered about other beats (there seems to be more available than there were years ago).

What would be ideal is a lightly fished water that gives us a chance of catching a few fish, some dry fly would be good. So any suggestions? (pref above Alford  and perhaps one day quite high up)

Also probably need to restock the fly box (my trout box is most suitable for the south of England at the moment) - so perhaps a short list of the best flies, I seem to remember we used:

Wet : Greenwell's, March Brown, Sharpe's Favourite, Partridge and Orange and Waterhen Bloa
Dry : Bushy (very) March Browns & Some sort of Olive

What would be the current favourites  for early May upper river?

Also is there someone who I can buy the flies from (I'm guessing what I'm after is someone local who ties flies for the river and who would like an order for a few dozen flies rather than a commercial outlet)

Sorry seems like a lot of questions - but want to make the most of the few days available!

Cheers

Colin

Rob Brownfield

Re: Beats and Flies for early May
« Reply #1 on: 24/02/2014 at 10:02 »
Have you thought about fishing Monymusk? Plenty or quite water to explore with the chance of some big fish. I know its about an hour from Cock Bridge, but the fact you get the beat to yourselves makes up for it :)

I also fished some lovely water up at Candacraig and Edinglassie. Tickets from Skeletor House, Starthdon.

Did you see the page on this site for fly recommendations and "local" tyings... http://fishingthefly.co.uk/river-don-trout-flies.html

I am sure others with much more knowledge than me will be along to answer, but its a starter for 10.

« Reply #2 on: 24/02/2014 at 10:43 »
Thanks Rob - yes Monymusk - last time I fished there was probably around 30 years ago - I remember being v impressed by the Paradise beat... also Candacraig and Edinglassie sounds good - I guess this was the water that you used to get tickets from The Colquhonnie Hotel? Do you know it include the Polhdullie bridge section - I haven't fished that since the weir was taken away - used to see some big fish below the bridge...

Thanks for the link to the flies - I had seen that - just wanted to whittle the numbers down to a few patterns and was wondering about the best ones for May on the upper river.

The Sharp's Favourite always worked well for me (in wet format), originally tied by Alan Sharpe of JS Sharpes - wonder if anyone still uses it? (pattern here http://www.feathersfliesandphantoms.co.uk)

I know plenty of good salmon fly tiers in the NE but I am also really interested to find out about local trout fly tiers who would like an order for a few dozen trout flies - or if there is no one local - any recommendations (I always find it better not to buy flies in shops!)

Cheers & THANKS !

Colin

Also

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 24/02/2014 at 10:50 »
Hi Colin,

See http://fishingthefly.co.uk/barbless-flies.html as an option for your flies.

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 24/02/2014 at 13:03 »
Do you know it include the Polhdullie bridge section - I haven't fished that since the weir was taken away - used to see some big fish below the bridge...Cheers & THANKS !

Not sure of that name, but if its the single span bridge on a right angle in the river with a huge deep pool below it with a concrete re-enforced earth bank, then yes.

« Reply #5 on: 24/02/2014 at 16:21 »
Yup Rob that's the one ! - also Rob did you ever find those old salmon flies we talked about a few years ago?

Mike thanks for the Link

So for our three early May days we are thinking

1. Kildrummy
2. Monymusk or Semiel Farm
3. Candacraig

Thoughts?

Cheers

Colin

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 25/02/2014 at 09:30 »
Yup Rob that's the one ! - also Rob did you ever find those old salmon flies we talked about a few years ago?

I have found many things in my tackle room, but the flies were not one of them :( I have a nasty feeling they may have been part of a batch of fly boxes that when openned, were full of hooks and dust thanks to mites.

As for the bridge,

Liam Stephen

« Reply #7 on: 25/02/2014 at 13:11 »
That's a pretty cool pic rob!  :z16

Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 25/02/2014 at 13:54 »
A photographer up from down south was wanting fishing shots for a magazine etc. Iain Cameron and myself went along to "model" and help out. I tell you, standing in a river with a huge 500v flash gun, large battery around your neck, is not much fun!..lol

More pics from him

Monymusk

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 25/02/2014 at 16:49 »
I thought it was photoshopped, as you had a fishing rod in your hand :z4 :z4

Very clever if it is real :z14

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 26/02/2014 at 07:44 »
I thought it was photoshopped, as you had a fishing rod in your hand :z4 :z4

Very clever if it is real :z14

Sandy

If real?

That is me "bugging" with a large sculpin patten!

Taken using studio lights set up on the bank and a long exposure to catch the waters movement.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 26/02/2014 at 09:52 »
Taken using studio lights set up on the bank and a long exposure to catch the waters movement.

Thats what i guessed, which is why i asked. You must be very good at standing still.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 26/02/2014 at 09:57 »
Rob's friend was very good with a camera, he took some cracking shots at Haddo too :z16

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 26/02/2014 at 10:00 »
It is very clever photography :z16
and it looks great.

And to pull it back on topic, and an apology for becoming more cynical with each day i'm alive :roll.

early may... I'd make sure i had Waterhen Bloa's in a 12 and 14, DHE's in a 12 and 14 and perhaps a goldhead HE nymph in a 12 just in case
 :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 26/02/2014 at 10:02 »
Thats what i guessed, which is why i asked. You must be very good at standing still.

Sandy

Nope, Sean was remarkably good at taking photos!

Not 100% sure of the exact technique, but the studio flash froze me, then the long exposure captured the water.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com