Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dirkltx

October fishing
« on: 15/08/2014 at 19:17 »
I will be visiting Aberdeen from the USA in mid october. Can y'all suggest flies and where best to fish. I love the saltwatr fishing as well. Only on a fly rod. Thanks in advance! :z8

Hamish Young

Re: October fishing
« Reply #1 on: 16/08/2014 at 17:30 »
Well the Dee will be shut for everything, but the Don is open for Salmon until the 31st of October and so are the North Esk, South Esk and the Deveron.
Each is within easy striking of Aberdeen :z16
I would find it hard to chose between them, but the Don and the Deveron might win over the Esks for me. As to where - well, conditions will dictate that nearer the time.

H :cool:

Dirkltx

« Reply #2 on: 18/08/2014 at 12:40 »
Thank you! Any suggestions on saltwater?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 18/08/2014 at 13:47 »
Not really, the mackeral and odd bass will be long gone. There will still be pollock off the rocks, but they will be thining out too. If you ca find a quite spot that has not been heavily fished then you should pick up a few.

Beyond that, the only things I can suggest is brining an 8 or 9 weight and having a go for Pike.

Dirkltx

« Reply #4 on: 20/08/2014 at 18:40 »
Thanks for the information. I am bringing a 6, 8, and 9 weight. I just found out that I will have access to a company lake. What size flies for there?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 20/08/2014 at 19:36 »
Welcome to the forum Dirk :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com