Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Handles, what takes your fancy?
« on: 13/02/2014 at 08:06 »
Whilst trying to get inspiration for my handle on the bugging rod, I found the following handle idea....

and this

I am thinking of using road kill for my handle...perhaps a whole Badger or maybe a Pheasant...so if you see anything at the side of the road, please let me know ;)

Andy Wren

Re: Handles, what takes your fancy?
« Reply #1 on: 14/02/2014 at 10:40 »
Absolutly no help ,but there was a big badger on the road side by plummer park at grafham on the last day of that season think it was the firsrst or second of febuary .
was one of the biggest I have seen ,.
think i will stick with cork or even Qsuber !

troutist

« Reply #2 on: 14/02/2014 at 11:52 »
Oh, those Yankees! :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 14/02/2014 at 12:36 »
or even Qsuber !

Wash your mouth out!!!!  :X2

Currently working out how to slide the my butt into a haggis?  :oops :oops I am sure a Haggis would make a great handle.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 14/02/2014 at 13:34 »
Wash your mouth out!!!!  :X2

Currently working out how to slide a haggis into my butt?  :oops :oops I am sure a Haggis would make a great handle.

Are you sure about this Rob :z4 :z4

Sandy

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 24/03/2014 at 18:45 »
This haggis in the butt , is it a smuggling option? sounds a bit iffy to me, what about a shagreen  butt?as per sword hilts
 :cool: easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 25/03/2014 at 07:25 »
This haggis in the butt , is it a smuggling option? sounds a bit iffy to me, what about a shagreen  butt?as per sword hilts
 :cool: easgach 1

I don't know about shagreen, could be interesting. I used to have a basket hilt sword for parades etc and the grip on that was shark skin. Never a more grippy substance have I found.

My next handle will be made totally from burnt cork as this stuff is "man made" from natural cork, if that makes sense. No voids at all and seems to me at any rate, tougher than normal cork. When turning it on the lathe I have to use a bit more force on the file to shape it.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #7 on: 16/07/2014 at 20:25 »
Shagreen is sharkskin Rob, but it is actually ray skin, Sharkskin as such would rip your hand to bits, it was used as sandpaper, Samurai swords Use the Rayskin option I have just rebuilt a Wakazashi hilt, easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 17/07/2014 at 07:42 »
Shagreen is sharkskin Rob, but it is actually ray skin, Sharkskin as such would rip your hand to bits, it was used as sandpaper, Samurai swords Use the Rayskin option I have just rebuilt a Wakazashi hilt, easgach 1

Cheers for the clarification. The Basket Hilt I have just now, a cheap copy, just has a leather grip. I wish I had kept my original one :(

Back in the day (1980's) we used tennis handle tape to make handles on carp rods. As soon as it rained it was like trying to hold an eel!

Interested in your sword rebuilding...tell me more :)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 03/08/2014 at 12:40 »
This is the gently enhanced handle i've just made for my current Epic commission :z16

It has been done to match the whippings, which are as yet unvarnished and the most tricky i have tried yet.

This one flies off to Holland when its finished :z16

Sandy

joshua

« Reply #10 on: 03/08/2014 at 18:23 »
Nice one Sandy!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 03/08/2014 at 18:52 »
That's looking great Sandy :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 11/08/2014 at 07:33 »
Nice Sandy. Like the spacer too.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com