Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Experimenting with epoxy
« on: 12/02/2014 at 13:14 »
OK, I put my hands up to it, I have been slow to pick up on using epoxy in my fly tying.
Partly because I couldn't be arsed using it before but also because I just wasn't using 'that sort' of fly much anywhere. These days I am, so I needed to start using epoxy.
The flies below are my first efforts using epoxy, clearly for salt water use.......
I used a two part '5 minute to set' product from Unibond first time around. I have leant a number of things:

1. 5 minutes just isn't long enough when you're trying to make a product that doesn't want to flow...... errr..... flow.
2. Getting rid of air bubbles is a complete bastard and in five minutes all but impossible. I gave up on that....
3. Whilst it is good fun to stick feathers to the cat using epoxy the nice man from the SSPCA takes a dim view.
4. Wives need briefing on certain elements of non-interference when epoxy is being used. For example " touch the rotary fly drier and I'll cut your fingers off" is a good start.
5. It's addictive stuff to use. Partly as (in confined spaces) it's possible to get slightly high on the fumes but mostly because it's just fun to make stuff with. So much so I have actually bought some proper fly tying UV activated bug-bond stuff which will get used late tonight (perhaps).

Anyway..... first efforts:

H :cool:

Duncan Inglis

Re: Experimenting with epoxy
« Reply #1 on: 12/02/2014 at 14:47 »
UV is the way to go, got some off FleaBay and have found it ideal.

Item number - 370594459484

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 12/02/2014 at 16:58 »
Yep UV is much easier to use than Epoxy H. Been using Deer Creek & a laser pen. :z16

Magnus Angus

« Reply #3 on: 12/02/2014 at 17:27 »
another vote for UV resin - I happen to use Bug Bond. Mixing two part epoxy stirs in the bubbles - no mixing needed to work with UV so no bubbles.

With your remaining epoxy Hamish....
Warm the tubes on a radiator before mixing, they become runny, mix easier with fewer bubbles and the bubbles that do form come out  easier.
Mix a little meths with the epoxy - I don't do that but watched a rod builder do it - again the mix is runnier so you get rid of bubbles.
btw when I used epoxy - mix epoxy on a pad of post-it stickers - Terry Jenner idea - and work with cocktail sticks. The wet flies are then stuck onto a foam disc in a rotating drier to set. Use cocktail sticks to mount tube-flies on the drier.

Then try Bug Bond or similar and you will chuck out all the Epoxy stuff - yes I have some you can try :)

Magnus Angus

« Reply #4 on: 12/02/2014 at 17:33 »
From BFFI - built from Bug Bond - thing is you can freeze UV resin where Epoxy takes time to gel and then set.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 12/02/2014 at 17:36 »
Nice, very nice!  :z16

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #6 on: 12/02/2014 at 18:52 »

3. Whilst it is good fun to stick feathers to the cat using epoxy the nice man from the SSPCA takes a dim view.
4. Wives need briefing on certain elements of non-interference when epoxy is being used. For example " touch the rotary fly drier and I'll cut your fingers off" is a good start.

:z4 :z4 :z4

Will Shaw

« Reply #7 on: 12/02/2014 at 23:03 »
Another vote for UV. I still use 5min Devcon for glueing in stick-on eyes on patterns where I don't want an epoxy head. Magnus is spot on with the post-its and cocktail sticks.

W.

Will Shaw

« Reply #8 on: 12/02/2014 at 23:05 »
Another idea Hamish: Google or look on the Bug Bond website for handy tips on getting the best from the stuff.

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 12/02/2014 at 23:35 »
Warm the tubes on a radiator before mixing, they become runny, mix easier with fewer bubbles and the bubbles that do form come out  easier.

Good thinking that man  :z16 I should have thought of that and as I have to use up the stuff I've got I'll give it a go.

:z4 :z4 :z4

Thank you Marc, I do try to bring in a wee drop of humour if I can  :wink

Another idea Hamish: Google or look on the Bug Bond website for handy tips on getting the best from the stuff.

I'm on it now......ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now that's interesting  :z13

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 13/02/2014 at 07:49 »
I still prefer epoxy for large heads and big flies.

Rather than thrash away at the epoxy with a Kenwood, mix it a bit slower and it won't bubble. Having said that, I sometimes put on a layer of "bubble" epoxy, then stick on the eyes, then put a layer of clear over the top. It gives a sparkly head.

Bug Bond is stupidly expensive and I have yet to have it set properly, it alwats remains tacky despite the proper and expensive torch. Leaving in the sun for a few days seems to sort that, but its still a pain.

Just for interest of course, you can buy UV resin at a fraction of the cost from nail and jewellery places. It is also possible to colour the resins, which opens up a whole new world.

http://www.metalclay.co.uk/categories/Resin/UV-Resin/ for colours.

And lastly, even though I am not keen on this company, you can get "Mr. Bond" for £5.55 Its identical to Bug Bond original and to make it thinner, stand the bottle in warm water and it will flow like the Lite stuff.

http://www.pikeflyrod.com/tools-and-glues/116-piketrek-uv-resin-mr-bond.html

Kevin Muir

« Reply #11 on: 13/02/2014 at 12:48 »
Hamish, if you are using up your epoxy on flies, as Magnus said use post it pads and cocktail sticks to mix it.

I just mix it well and dont bother about any bubbles, once mixed, wave a lighter flame over the pool of mixed epoxy and the bubbles rise to the top and pop leaving a nice clear pool of epoxy with no bubbles.  I tended to use the 30 minute epoxy for flies, it seemed to work better for me (less swearing).

I almost always use UV resin now as the ability to add a little here and there and zap it with the torch is just so much better than epoxy and no half used mix to bin every time.

UV resin is without a doubt the way forward, I use a cheap laser pen and it sets very quickly.

Liking the thought of a punk cat with various bits of tying material glued to it, please post a few photos.

Kev.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #12 on: 13/02/2014 at 22:47 »
UV for me too Hamish (check out the Minstrel Minnow for an example of a UV head).
You can colour it with a pantone pen (see the translucent bloodworm / UV egg).

I've got BB but prefer to use the UV stuff from Pat at Flytek as it's more 'varnish' like and (i feel) easier to use.

One thing when 'building flies' using UV, you really need to build the layers up gradually and ensure each one fully cured as this makes a stronger finished fly, less brittle and less likely to be damaged through fishing.  That said, some SW guys (Proccie and Paul Little) are going back to epoxy on bonefish / tarpon flies as they're more robust and have made the complaint / point that they're going through more flies using UV than epoxy.

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 13/02/2014 at 23:30 »
Interesting stuff guys - cheers :z16

I suspect that I have found will be sticking with conventional epoxy for larger salt water patterns. As Kev suggests.... the longer setting stuff :!
I've already seen why Paul and Paul might have moved back over to that as you say Allan, unless you stick with thin layers the UV stuff really is not the way with 'meaningful' heads. Ofcourse I could be expecting too much of something I've picked up for the first time this evening  :z17

Also that doesn't mean I will not be using it..... I can see many many uses in my tying of pretty much everything.

Tonights freaky moment was seeing some UV fritz under UV light - trippy man..... just trippy......  :z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 13/02/2014 at 23:35 »

Tonights freaky moment was seeing some UV fritz under UV light - trippy man..... just trippy......  :z3

Wine o'clock?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com