Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Epic Glass Fly Rods
« Reply #30 on: 10/04/2014 at 11:22 »
Cheers Rob :z16

No superglue :wink it would interfere with the clear finish and yes getting the feet to look nice is probably a bigger issue than the whipping, but i think its worth the effort. It was a fun build :z12

Sandy

And fun is what it is about...although after last nights disaster with my Czech nymph rod, I have lost the fun element! I have switched to Rodpro Lite as I heard good reports, but for some reason, despite my blank being cleaned and de-greased as normal, the finish reseambled the Somme this morning. Not happy!

Will have to remove all the fancy work I did on the butt and start again. Back to Threadmaster for me...

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 17/04/2014 at 12:23 »
The Amber Epic 580 is now sold :z16

That just leaves us with the Flame (orange) 580 blank, a very rare one this, there were only a few Flame blanks made.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #32 on: 19/04/2014 at 10:11 »
The Flame Epic 580 is now sold :z16

That's the last one folks, we have no more in stock.

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #33 on: 01/06/2014 at 12:30 »
Olive Epic and olive SLX  :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #34 on: 02/06/2014 at 07:28 »
Carrying on with the olice theme...I give you Olive from On the Buses...

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #35 on: 03/06/2014 at 12:41 »
Hi All

For those of you who are not aware. Mike is no longer going to be doing fishing rods as part of the Barrio range  :cry.

However as we already have the deal set up with Carl McNeil for the Epic blanks I have had it transferred across to me.
I really love the rods and I am going to continue to build on the blanks. I don’t want to see them disappear from the UK marketplace as they are quite different and despite not being everyone’s cup of tea they should have a place on people’s option list.  :z16
I will be appearing on Carl’s list as the UK builder once we get things properly set up.

The rods will be available direct from me and we are going to create a page with ‘buy it now’ features, for the ones I will be building in my own simple, low profile , translucent style, which I think complements the blank colours. However they will be available to order with customisable options

The first batch of blanks will be here soon and they include 480 and 580 models in Nude, Mocha and 580 models in Olive. I personally think the 8ft models are the most useful day to day sizes and my 580 has been a constant companion on the Don most days this year.

I want to build rods people will use, as the fiberglass creates a rugged and sensitive fly rod, however they will only be produced in very small numbers and use the best hardwood/nickel reel seats, the best cork, gossamer silks and top quality hardware.
So every rod is unique and exclusivity is guaranteed.

If anyone is interested in the meantime contact me direct and we can discuss further.

Cheers :z18

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #36 on: 03/06/2014 at 14:59 »
 :z16 :z16 :z16

Like you say, it's great to have a choice. Good luck in the venture :)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #37 on: 03/06/2014 at 16:50 »
Cheers Dude :z18

They are fun to make as well as being great to use. Thats why i'm happy to be doing it :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #38 on: 04/06/2014 at 07:37 »
Cheers Dude :z18

They are fun to make as well as being great to use. Thats why i'm happy to be doing it :z16

Sandy

I might have to have a thrash about with one of these fabled rods! I am coming around to your builds ;)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #39 on: 12/06/2014 at 13:19 »
I might have to have a thrash about with one of these fabled rods! I am coming around to your builds ;)

My own one is available for anyone to have a chuck with, just succumbed to R&D and changed the reel seat :X2
All in the name of providing a few lovely options. :z3

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #40 on: 14/06/2014 at 10:26 »
New reel seat in action last night.

well impressed, it holds the reel perfectly, with no issues, it lighter than the uplock and suits the rod even more.
I've 4 more of them and they all have beautiful Figured Western Maple wood.

I love it and it will be great alternative.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #41 on: 14/06/2014 at 11:07 »
That looks smart Sandy :z16

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #42 on: 14/06/2014 at 13:48 »
really liking that Sandy !  :z16
i'd prefer it turned around (uplock) as i had done on my bamboo rod but that's just a matter of personal taste.
cheers,
marc

joshua

« Reply #43 on: 20/06/2014 at 21:48 »
Greetings from Slovenia!

My Sandy-built Epic 580 is working like a charm :) Caught this nice rainbow this morning with Epic 580 and a 12ft 6x leader and a size #14 dryfly... 15 minutes of pure joy... :D

Btw. The first fish caught with this rod was a marble trout :)

Good times :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #44 on: 21/06/2014 at 00:28 »
Hi Ari,

Thanks for posting the photo and sharing your experiences, I'm really pleased that you like your Epic!  :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com