Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Epic Glass Fly Rods
« on: 12/02/2014 at 12:10 »
Hi folks :z16

Epic Glass Fly Rods ...... We initially built a prototype demo Epic 580 fly rod on Carl McNeil's blank from New Zealand.

Carl had told me all about his fibreglass blanks quite a while ago, how much development he had put into the project and how awesome they were to cast, I ( like many folk I guess ) thought "why glass?" I don't remember glass rods as being anything special and we moved on to carbon for a reason ......... but I saw more and more people that I know and respect raving about them, curiosity got the better of me and we just had to try one!

To say that we were a little surprised at how good the blank felt when it arrived would be a big understatement and once Sandy had built the prototype and we played with it ..... We could see what all the buzz was about!  :cool:

I'm not sure that I fully understand all the technical side of this modern fibreglass material used to make the blanks, but I do know that I like it. I would describe the rod as Progressive / Mid flex / Medium fast ...... with an awesome recovery rate, I have never cast a glass blank like this!

Here is the prototype demo rod.

And here are a couple of cracking custom Epic 580 fly rods that Sandy built for customers in 2013 :cool:

We have a very limited number of Epic 580 blanks in hand. Sandy is going to "do his magic" building some cracking rods with them and these will become available as and when each one is ready.

He has just finished building the first rod for sale, which you can see below with rod bag & tube and each Epic fly rod will be different :cool:

The rather cool ( or should that be hot? ) Salsa Epic 580 :cool: ..... Which is no longer available

Mike Barrio

Re: Epic Glass Fly Rods
« Reply #1 on: 12/02/2014 at 12:35 »
And if anybody would like the original prototype demo Epic 580 ..... this is available for £250 :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

The original Epic 580 prototype demo rod ( first 3 photos at the top ) is now sold and is heading off to explore the wonderful streams of Austria :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 12/02/2014 at 23:42 »
Alexandr "Troutist" would like to see a video of somebody casting an Epic fly rod, but I haven't got one and it is unlikely we'll try to make one in the current weather :z6

One for the spring :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 13/02/2014 at 01:37 »
What is this modern Epic fibreglass all about? ....... Learn all about it here:

http://swiftflyfishing.com/pages/about-the-epics

http://swiftflyfishing.com/pages/epic-specs

Rich Knoles

« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2014 at 02:06 »
I don't have any video, but here's how a 100+ foot cast looks. :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 13/02/2014 at 08:08 »
So I'm seeing that someone wants a lightsabre instead of a trout rod.
I'm sorry chaps, I don't care how well it casts, but that salsa rod is just hideous. 
Where's my shades ? :z13

I'd still like to try one but maybe not in that particular shade of hi-viz.

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 13/02/2014 at 09:53 »

I'm sorry chaps, I don't care how well it casts, but that salsa rod is just hideous. 

I take it you don't like this one then Euan :z4  :z4  :z4

Rods, reels, wading jackets and I guess all fishing tackle ..... are like cars, sofas and shoes ( handbags even :shock ) ..... we all like different things :cool:

Don't worry, there will only be one Salsa Epic available and each rod will be a different colour :wink

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 13/02/2014 at 10:01 »
Don't worry, there will only be one Salsa Epic available and each rod will be a different colour :wink

There was on on Ebay a little while back that had been "dipped" to give it a camo finish. It actually looked pretty good! The chap was advertising that he could colour any blank by water transfer dipping.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 13/02/2014 at 10:19 »
These blanks are in the original Epic colours Rob, you can see the colours available by following the links further up the thread :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Here are some of the colours available, plus there is an orange, olive and brown. Hey, it rains in NZ too :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 13/02/2014 at 10:57 »

That was fun Rich .... and certainly not what they were designed to do :z4

Cheers
Mike

troutist

« Reply #10 on: 13/02/2014 at 18:03 »

Wow!

troutist

« Reply #11 on: 13/02/2014 at 18:05 »
Alexandr "Troutist" would like to see a video of somebody casting an Epic fly rod, but I haven't got one and it is unlikely we'll try to make one in the current weather :z6

One for the spring :cool:

Cheers
Mike

we all look forward to it!

Rich Knoles

« Reply #12 on: 13/02/2014 at 22:19 »
That was fun Rich .... and certainly not what they were designed to do :z4

Cheers
Mike

Quite right, Mike, but being blasted by some of the best casters in the world to distances over 100 feet left me impressed with many things. They sure can take a beating, they're wicked smooth and very fast. All things I doubted prior to casting them.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 18/02/2014 at 23:47 »
we all look forward to it!

By the way ..... Check out Alexandr's website folks http://troutist.ru/

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 02/03/2014 at 08:27 »
We have a very limited number of Epic 580 blanks in hand. These are Limited supply and will become available as and when each one is ready.

The first rod is now for sale, which you can see below with rod bag & tube and each Epic fly rod will be different :cool:

This one is 'Salsa' and has a Nickel silver and Rosewood reel seat, Fine wire Snake rings and a cracking Flor grade Cork Grip. It is whipped with a spicy ginger pearsalls silk and has 3 very thin coats of Epoxy to the whippings to keep things slim and transparent.

The rather cool ( or should that be hot? ) Salsa Epic 580 :cool: ..... Which is no longer available

The next rod in production is an Olive green one, whipped with Transparent Ash Grey Silk and a Burled Elder And Nickel reel seat :z12 which should be ready in the next couple of weeks. I'll post the pictures once things are properly cured and ready for use.

Following this there are just 3 blanks remaining , One Nude, one Flame and one Amber, if anyone wants to pre-order one and get to specify the build then drop me a PM and we can discuss it further, otherwise i'l build them as i think they should look and they will be posted for sale :z18

Thanks for looking.

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com