Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

Re: River Don 2014
« Reply #60 on: 01/04/2014 at 20:23 »
Bonny fish, in great condition

Scott's fish was a belter, absolutely lovely, and well deserved after he had stalked another fish for a good couple of hours.

I had a cracking day out - as well as catching up with Scott and Richard, I had browns of 2lb 4oz, 1lb, and 1lb 12oz. And a sneaky sea trout kelt also 2lb 4oz. The two big browns were lovely. All came to a simple cdc f-fly/emerger thing.

First fish of the Don season - 2lb 4oz. nice.

If you love em, let em go:

And a nice bonus, late rising fish, around 4pm. 1lb 12oz, solid fish

we were possibly lucky with wind, wasn't too bad. A sparse hatch, kicked off maybe around 12 ish with some LDOs. I didn't see MBs until much later. Rises were few and far between, but apart from one lunker that Scott stalked, we had a good crack at those rising fish we did see. Great day, cracking way to kick off 2014

i,

Liam Stephen

« Reply #61 on: 01/04/2014 at 20:28 »
Nice one Iain. Looks like ....... was the place to be today  :z16

Liam

Scott Cumming

« Reply #62 on: 01/04/2014 at 20:59 »
Great start to the season Iain, well done again!

Cheers for the pic, nice one!

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #63 on: 01/04/2014 at 21:21 »
Cracking fish guys, good start to the season.

Eddie. :z16

Noel Kelly

« Reply #64 on: 01/04/2014 at 21:52 »
Well done gentlemen some great trout there! Roll on the wend when us working class types can have a shot.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #65 on: 01/04/2014 at 23:44 »
 :z16 :z16

Irvine Ross

« Reply #66 on: 02/04/2014 at 09:05 »
Well done gentlemen.

No so good further up the river. A thin hatch of LDOs from about 13:00 to 14:30 but no rising fish anywhere I could find. No takers on the spiders either so my first blank of the year. :z8

Irvine

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #67 on: 02/04/2014 at 10:14 »
 :z16

cracking start to the season it looks. great to see some pics too.

Andy Finlay

« Reply #68 on: 02/04/2014 at 13:27 »
Well done gentlemen some great trout there! Roll on the wend when us working class types can have a shot.

I'm with you on that, stuck offshore for the start of the season but will hopefully get a shot at the trout this weekend.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #69 on: 02/04/2014 at 16:13 »
I was out again today. Caught some nice brownies.

I also netted a fairly nice Sea Trout, a bit on the thin side but perfect fins and tail.

A good hatch again today although a little later than expected with the most activity between 1- 2.30pm. My best fly today was an old favourite of mine, the CDC n Elk.

:z18
Liam

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #70 on: 02/04/2014 at 16:39 »
Great stuff Liam, nice fish :z16

I had a similar experience this afternoon, hatch was later but better :z3

I finally managed to find a small pod of decent sized fish feeding today :z12, awkward to get to and a bit precarious standing on rock pocket picking at distance, however i managed to get a few good drifts :z3

The nearest fish to me turned out to be a Sea-trout kelt of about 1.75lbs, put up a good scrap and i released it mid river, somewhat difficult to photo, but i tried

The next one out never moved station and continued to feed, so i kept at him and eventually got a drag free drift, up he came and all hell broke loose :shock
After a major scrap through the rapids and around quite a few rocks i netted my best Brownie for a while :z16
4lb8oz on the weigh net and in fantastic condition :z12

He swam off strong when returned, but not before giving me a wink

I sat for a while after this one, as the shaking took a while to slow down, awesome fun :z7

I rested the pod for about an hour and had a few smaller fish around the 10-12" mark from further upstream, no babies today :z12 But a much better rise than yesterday.

When i returned the remaining 2 fish were still sipping the odd fly, the forward one i spooked by striking to quick :z6 but looked like another sea-trout kelt.
The last one was the hardest to reach and i eventually got a full length cast and a drag free drift to get him to come up, again all hell broke loose and fish was jumping all over the place, looked to be about 2.5-3lb, when he took off down the rapids i lost my balance and thought i was going after him, but i dropped the rod tip and regained my balance, unfortunatley the hook fell out :cry
Anyway I can't complain, i didn't fall in and i had a great afternoon :z12

Size 12 DHE did the business today

Cheers

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #71 on: 02/04/2014 at 16:49 »
Sandy you lucky so and so!  :z4

Awesome fish and great pictures. You heading out tomorrow?

Liam

Scott Cumming

« Reply #72 on: 02/04/2014 at 17:57 »
Nice plump trout Liam, well done. Thats a cracker Sandy, in great condition too :z16

My day was similar, Hatch was a good bit later than yesterday. I caught one thin sea trout kelt, one brown at 1lb, lost a lump of a brown shortly after - it was a belter :mad Finished off the day with a fairly lean brown of 2lb 8oz.

cheers
Scott

Iain Cameron

« Reply #73 on: 02/04/2014 at 18:18 »
Liam, Sandy, Scott

Superb fishes and reports! 

A nice brace for Liam, and a belter for Sandy - that's some lump you tempted!
Scott - shame about the belter you lost - wonder if it was the one you waited for yesterday. At least you tempted him up to take...

Cracking starts to the season, brilliant!

cheers
iain

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #74 on: 02/04/2014 at 18:24 »
Guys,

hats off to all of you those are great troots well done.

Eddie. :z16 :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com