Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

Re: River Don 2014
« Reply #45 on: 27/03/2014 at 20:15 »
Anyone heading out on the 1st? Weather is looking promising.

the weather promises, but then lies... but I'll be out on the river anyway, why not
i,

Liam Stephen

« Reply #46 on: 27/03/2014 at 22:20 »
To right Iain. Good luck to you!  :z18

Liam

Liam Stephen

« Reply #47 on: 28/03/2014 at 15:14 »
I had a walk down to my local stretch of Don today, it was a lovely day to be out. I arrived at 11am and had a little walk along the beat. The sun made an appearance at 11.30 which saw things get going. A wee trickle of LDOs with the occasional MB to start followed by a few more and a few more... By 12pm things were in full swing, the birds were feeding and best of all the Trout were rising! This lasted right until 3 pm, most of the activity took place within the first hour and a bit. I took note of a few of the bigger fish which will be getting a visit come Tuesday. 4 days to go!!  :z16

Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #48 on: 31/03/2014 at 07:32 »
Fished another Friday afternoon on the middle Don. Went to a pool I have trout fished but never Salmon fished, so it was a guessing game. However, as guessing games go, it was easy because as I approached the top of the pool, a bar of silver, about 8-9 lbs arched out of the water, giving me a good idea that my hunch was right.

Out with a s2/3 tip on my DCC line and a Cascade pot belly pig thing tied on a 1" cu tube and off I went. just as I passed the spot the fish had jumped I got a pull, lifted and the rod went over....for about 10 seconds! After a couple of head shakes and a bit of a run the fish was gone.

Carried on until I could wade no more and came out the river, walking back to where I had had the fish on. I sat there watching the water and right on the far bank 2 fish were rising steady. Both about 2 pounds, but not Brownies...Sea Trout! I watched them for a good 40 minutes, silver as silver could be.

Through the pool again and this time a pull a bit closer to the neck, but the fish was on and gone in seconds...time to change hooks!

I moved down to the bottom of the pool and again, a fish arched out. This time smaller, maybe 5lbs, but silver none the less. This was impossible to cover from the water so I tried to cast off the high bank, but with the short shooting head it was hard work being a good 4 feet above the water.

Walking back upstream a few flies were coming off and the odd trout was moving.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #49 on: 01/04/2014 at 08:22 »
Good luck fellas  :z16

Liam

Liam Stephen

« Reply #50 on: 01/04/2014 at 16:46 »
First of the season  :z14

Had another couple around the same size along with a sea trout (kelt) and lost a cracker of 2-3lbs. Good hatches but a horrible wind, a fairly nice first day out though.  :z16

Liam

Colin Sunley

« Reply #51 on: 01/04/2014 at 17:24 »
Off to a good start Liam, Well done,  :z16
I only managed the one, and would have been his smaller cousin to yours,  Much smaller cousin, 
Still its a start, roll on the week-end,

Col

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #52 on: 01/04/2014 at 18:44 »
Liam, you were on the opposite side to me :wink

It was quite cold out there, i had a few but nothing over 11" and didn't see anything of any real size moving apart from quite a lot of tourists (some looked rather fresh)

I did think i had opted for the wrong bank or the wrong rod :z6 as i saw a couple of good fish come out from the other side.

Going to try again tomorrow, maybe further upstream.

There was a steady trickle of LDO's from 1130 through to about 1330 and then it changed to March Browns, seemed to dry up about 1500 so i went home.

Still think it was little cold and the easterly wind definatley didn't help

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #53 on: 01/04/2014 at 18:52 »
Sandy I didn't realise or else I would have shouted over.  :X1

Your bank was the bank to be on, that wind was a right twat! The older chap that was fishing above me said he had one of around 2lb.

If you are out tomorrow try round the corner  :wink

Yeah a fairly sustained hatch today and lots of interest in the sheltered spots.

It was cold though!

Liam

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #54 on: 01/04/2014 at 18:58 »

Your bank was the bank to be on, that wind was a right twat! The older chap that was fishing above me said he had one of around 2lb.

I saw him get that one. it gave a good account of itself. A guy on my side took an 8lb salmon on the dry, quite a hoot :z7
But i just didn't see anything in RB size at all on that side, they all seemed to be across with you :z7 :z7

I might recognise you next time :wink Did you find they liked em big :z7

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #55 on: 01/04/2014 at 19:03 »
It's funny that I was sure they were all on your side  :z4

Likewise Sandy and yes I was fishing a size 12 Olive variant  :lol. I'll post a fly pic later.

:z18
Liam

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #56 on: 01/04/2014 at 19:13 »
Likewise Sandy and yes I was fishing a size 12 Olive variant  :lol. I'll post a fly pic later.

Size 10 DHE's for me as i had more better fish after the olives finished and the March Browns Started :z16

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #57 on: 01/04/2014 at 19:28 »
Nice start Liam, shame you lost the bigger one!

I thought a blank was on the cards today - I spent too much time stalking a trophy that came up 3-4 times but he wasn't playing ball. Caught one late afternoon @3lbs, kindly netted by Iain Cameron.

Cheers
Scott C

Liam Stephen

« Reply #58 on: 01/04/2014 at 19:29 »
I bloody knew it!  :z4 Well done Scott, the first of many trophies for you I'm sure  :z16

Liam

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #59 on: 01/04/2014 at 19:58 »
Nice one Scott :z18

Bonny fish, in great condition

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com