Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Scott Cumming

Re: River Don 2014
« Reply #135 on: 11/04/2014 at 23:20 »
Cracking fish Dorlo :z16

Noel Kelly

« Reply #136 on: 11/04/2014 at 23:21 »
Hey all, had another day out on the river today and got my first 'proper' Don Brownie. Great feeling after losing a good one last week!

It wasn't a great day overall with hardly any fly or fish showing, but I was lucky enough to spot this fish feeding steadily on some tiny olives, and he took my size 16 pheasant tail CDC job.

I'll post two photos as the first one has a bit of that 'fish held too close to the camera' look about it  :z4
The second shot gives a better idea of size probably.

This is my best brown trout ever so I was pretty chuffed!

Awesome  :z16 a personal best is an occasion worth celebrating! Super trout very well done did you weigh or measure it?  

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #137 on: 11/04/2014 at 23:45 »
Awesome fish  :z16

I saw quite a few rises today but got nothing over a pound. That's quite a few cracking fish been caught this season by other people so far. Me next please ;)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #138 on: 11/04/2014 at 23:48 »
 :z16

Dorlo

« Reply #139 on: 12/04/2014 at 08:14 »
Thanks all for the encouragement.

Unfortunately I wasn't quick-thinking enough to measure the fish, and dont carry a scale.

But here is a photo of the fish in my net, and the mesh-part is 15" at it's longest point.  Based on how much the fish had to curl up to fit in the net, I think around 18-19" is a reasonable estimate. As fisherman we all know it's hard not to exaggerate these things  :wink

Ask me again in a few years and it will be a lot bigger 

Iain Cameron

« Reply #140 on: 12/04/2014 at 09:23 »
Unfortunately I wasn't quick-thinking enough to measure the fish, and dont carry a scale.

Lovely fish Dorlo, and the photos are as important as having an exact measurement. Great spots on that trout, good job!

Rob... unlucky with hooking the tourist on the spiders. Did you not catch some trout when fishing for salmon?

cheers
iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #141 on: 12/04/2014 at 09:43 »

James Middleton

« Reply #142 on: 12/04/2014 at 19:21 »
Hi all,

I was out fishing the lower Don today, between Persley and Seaton Park and had the misfortune to lose a Hardy reel pouch with my rod bag and ferrules stuffaed inside. I did meet a couple of fellow anglers and saw a few more if anyone did happen across them I would be willing to offer a realistic reward. Many thanks.

Cheers Ross

Dorlo

« Reply #143 on: 13/04/2014 at 08:52 »
Was out on the lower Don yesterday (Sorry Ross didn't see your gear),

Got this one on a pheasant tail, I am guessing it's a sea trout kelt? Any other opinions?  Still put up a good fight but very skinny.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #144 on: 13/04/2014 at 09:18 »
Dorlo that's a Kelt  :z16

Liam

Dorlo

« Reply #145 on: 13/04/2014 at 09:41 »
Yep that's what I thought, cheers.

James Middleton

« Reply #146 on: 13/04/2014 at 09:56 »
Hi Dorlo, that looks like a sea trout kelt to me. I'm just back from retracing my steps from yesterday and I'm happy to say I found them. Many thanks cheers Ross

Liam Stephen

« Reply #147 on: 13/04/2014 at 17:47 »
Just back from a blustery day at the river. Picked up the usual <12 inch fish and a sea trout kelt. Hatches came off in wee bursts in between gusts and lasted right through till 5pm! I met Iain C and had a wander with him which was cool. We arrived at a pool where I've seen big fish before and there was some small dimples here and there. Iain got into position and covered one a few times. Up it came  to the fly and it was BIG 3-3.5lbs. A nice scrap and a few jumps, it was a cracker. We got it almost within netting distance and off it popped... Gutted to say the least.

Here is a pic of the fight.

Unlucky Dude!

I'm off to tie some of Iain's flies  :z16

Liam

Iain Cameron

« Reply #148 on: 13/04/2014 at 18:07 »
...We got it almost within netting distance and off it popped... Gutted to say the least.

Sob. Yes, right to our feet, more or less, before shaking its head in that gut-wrenching way. Tippet gave way, clean looking break, probably at the knot. Some sweary words were aired; some of them aired at the alternative choice of tippet. Oh well, chalk it up to bad luck.  :z19

I'd give it a good 3lb, and it fairly cleared the water a few times. Exciting stuff. Bit of a sickener at the end, especially when we could see it sitting on the bottom a few feet away before it skedaddled.

The wind has been pretty awful the last couple of days. I've lost two other good fish from tails; both had been feeding regularly and were 2lb+ class. Up, hooked, jumped, slack. Sweary upwards and curses.

Good to see Liam today though, and he neatly picked up a few rising trouts, so at least I saw how it should be done!

cheers
iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #149 on: 14/04/2014 at 20:23 »
Couple of trout yesterday, poor hatch and little showing.

Virtually no flies about today at all where I was and hardly anything moving but I nailed three on an olive Klink, biggest would have been about 1lb.  That's the 3wt TXL christened  :cool:

Switched over to salmon fishing as the trout fishing simply was not going to happen

That'll be the third one on the Sunray and the third on the Method switch this year.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com