Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Graham Thom

First rod build
« on: 10/02/2014 at 13:57 »
Hi guys

Looking for some advise on guide spacing on a orvis access 11ft 7wt switch rod. Just took delivery of my blank and and parts for my first build but I'm just wondering if there is anywhere on the net with guide spacing info?

Cheers Graham

Ben Dixon

Re: First rod build
« Reply #1 on: 10/02/2014 at 18:32 »
Leave it with me Graham, I'll post them on Wednesday when I'm back at work.

Cheers

Ben

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2014 at 19:11 »
Hi Graham,

Didn't get a chance yesterday!

Here they are in mm from tip ring to centre of each guide.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 14/02/2014 at 07:41 »
Morning Graham,
This is a good site for hints and tips and fancy stuff. Hope it helps.

http://www.rodbuildingtutorials.com/threadwork.htm

Graham Thom

« Reply #4 on: 21/02/2014 at 16:55 »
Cheers for the info guys will get cracking with the rod this weekend. Just a quick question what's the best exposure for the whipping and also for the handle/reel seat.

Cheers Graham

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 21/02/2014 at 17:55 »
Hi Graham,

Not sure what you mean by exposure?  If you are talking about epoxy then I use Flexcoat for the whippings (get from David Norwich and make sure to get syringes too) and I stick handles and reel seats on with 5 minute epoxy resin.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 24/02/2014 at 07:56 »
Epoxy, I have used Threadmaster and Flexcoat. Both do the job well although I feel Threadmaster releases bubbles far easier. As Ben says, syringes make life easy as long as they do not contain silicon. If unsure, get from a rod builder supplier.

Consider a "lite" version of the epoxy if using for fine trout rods and use a few coats. You get a "lighter" coating on the whipping.

For handles I use either 5 minte or 24 hour cure epoxy (Devcon etc) or Araldite. If need ing to construct a reel fitting, I use 5 minute studd as its easier to keep everythiong in place for 5 minutes than 24 hours.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 27/02/2014 at 07:54 »
Cheers for the info guys will get cracking with the rod this weekend.

Welllll? How did it go?  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com