Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

What strength cast?
« on: 03/10/2006 at 23:53 »
How do you choose what strength cast to use when setting up your rod for trout fishing  :?:

You may take in to consideration the action of your rod, the weight of your fly line perhaps? What about the size of fish that you expect to catch on the water that you are fishing? And the size of your fly? Is your fly weighted or has it got a gold bead?

And then what about the conditions on the day ...... is there a ripple on the water, is it cloudy or sunny, is the water clear or coloured?

Do you actually think about any of the above? Or do you always set your kit up the same?

Can any of the forum members come up with a nice simple formula that might help anglers to choose the right cast   :idea:  

Best wishes
Mike
 :z2

Euan Innes

Cask strength...
« Reply #1 on: 04/10/2006 at 05:51 »
I'm probably not the one to give really helpfull advice on this.
Since I started using my Scott #4 and one fly (2 in a drifting boat) I use a Froghair 9' 7lb point, tapered leader needle knoted to the end of my line.
Now the weird bit. I cut off the last 4' from the tip of the leader and water knot on 3' of Drennan 4lb standard nylon, followed by 3' of 3lb.
Turnover is superb, the nylon strong and willing to take a rub down with Fullers Earth and this rig has landed double figure fish. It cuts through the surface film with ease but can be made to float. Fish can't see it cos it's thin and flies like it cos they get movement. Big lures hate it it but the feeling is mutual. It also seems to tangle a lot less, even with direction changes in a swirlling wind.

Just a thought that will probably mess with a few heads...

Euan  :z1

Kev Danby

Cast Strength
« Reply #2 on: 04/10/2006 at 08:41 »
Most of my fishing is with a 4/5 wt and flies in the 12 - 16 range and I like to use 4lb fluorocarbon on the point tapering from 8lb to 6 lb to 4lb this seems to suit my style of fishing. On rivers I'll go to 3lb on the point and for those pesky blobs/lures 6lb point seems ok. The length of leader varies between 10 - 15 feet usually longer in winter to allow the fly to fish deeper with a floating line.

For pike I have been using 10 feet of 15lb maxima to a short 20lb trace and the barbel was on a 4lb point.

Sandy Nelson

What strength cast?
« Reply #3 on: 04/10/2006 at 17:50 »
My leaders are a bit different.
I tend toward the same frohair taper that euan uses but add 12" of 7lb then 36" of 5.9lb and then another 36"of either 4 or 5.9lb depending what size of set up i'm using. ie 3wt 4lb point, 5wt 5.9lb point.- this goes for stillwater fishing.
However on the river i scale everything down about 2lb.

The only thing close to a general rule that i would suggest is the point size(tippet breaking strain) should match the weight of the fly line.

ie 5 wt line 5lb point
3wt line 3lb point.

As for conditions if its windy i will shorten the cast (to about 12ft) and use one fly.
Otherwise i use the same set up most of the time.

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

What strength cast?
« Reply #4 on: 04/10/2006 at 17:52 »
Kev

I have a query i've been pondering

Is it Kevlar D in some hint at being hi-tec
or is it Kev Lard as in fat bastard

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Mike Barrio

What strength cast?
« Reply #5 on: 04/10/2006 at 20:24 »
Great stuff  :z16

What about making up DIY tapered casts from straight nylon? ......... Lets say we have the following nylon:
3lb = 0.18mm
4lb = 0.20mm
5lb = 0.22mm
6lb = 0.25mm
and we decide to make a simple formula broken down in to two weights/types of fly rod, eg:
Rods of 5wt or lighter ( #3/#4/#5 )
Rods of 6wt or heavier ( #6/#7/#8 )

Would this be helpful for beginners? If so and going back to the original question........ what might the formula be?

Best wishes
Mike
 :z2

Mike Barrio

What strength cast?
« Reply #6 on: 04/10/2006 at 20:41 »
Why am I asking all this?  :?:

I have just received stock of my new product ......
BARRIO "Troutcast"
Strong Reliable Clear Nylon
Great For Knots
Superb Quality

3 lb ( 0.18mm )
4 lb ( 0.20mm )
5 lb ( 0.22mm )
6 lb ( 0.25mm )

Price = £3.00 per 100m spool

wildfisher

What strength cast?
« Reply #7 on: 04/10/2006 at 20:47 »
And damned fine stuff it is too. Not that I tested it often  in the  fish department today at Haddo…… :oops: …. Nice and stiff, knots  well   and cheap!!!

Mike,  are these the diameters   of  "Troutcast" in your post above?

By the way – I like the name – sounds like an  online fishing conference.  :grin:

Mike Barrio

What strength cast?
« Reply #8 on: 04/10/2006 at 21:02 »
By the way – I like the name – sounds like an online fishing conference

You are responsible for the name in a way ........ Do you remember pointing out to me ages ago that I should call my nylon a "cast" and not a "leader or tippet"?

Cheers
Mike
 :wink:

wildfisher

What strength cast?
« Reply #9 on: 04/10/2006 at 21:08 »
Quote from: "Mike Barrio"
By the way – I like the name – sounds like an online fishing conference

You are responsible for the name in a way ........ Do you remember pointing out to me ages ago that I should call my nylon a "cast" and not a "leader or tippet"?

Cheers
Mike
 :wink:

Indeed I do. Glad to see you took my sound advice on board!   :lol:

By the way are these the diameters  above? I'm sure they are but best check. ********ignore that of course they are !!!  :oops:

sightbob

What strength cast?
« Reply #10 on: 04/10/2006 at 21:37 »
hi mike
i would be interested in stocking some of your nylon, if you could confirm the diameters and give me a call if you're interested in a bit of distribution??
cheers
brian

Mike Barrio

What strength cast?
« Reply #11 on: 04/10/2006 at 23:57 »
Hi Brian

Yes, the diameters are as listed above. I'll give you a phone  :wink:

Best wishes
Mike

Kev Danby

Cast strength
« Reply #12 on: 05/10/2006 at 09:18 »
Sandy you are right on both accounts.

A pal from Glasgow thought that my rotund belly was used to develop and manufacture new hitech material and cristened it kevlard, since then the name has kind of stuck with me.

So that makes me a hitech fat bar steward.

Fortunately due to lack of demand production has been slimmed down by approx 17 lbs and there may be a need for re-branding to kevlesslard.

Rod Mackay

What strength cast?
« Reply #13 on: 19/10/2006 at 11:30 »
Hi Mike,

Used "Barrio Troutcast" for the first time at the weekend.  Fished for 8 hours without having to remove a single fangle - a first for me :z4

Great Product and a great price.

Rod

leaders
« Reply #14 on: 04/11/2006 at 20:36 »
hi guys
                  what is the best set up for floattubing, since i started using fluorocarbon i have been broken quite a lot.I always used maxima 4 or5lbcanot remember ever been broke .The thing is my catch rate has gone up quite abit.using fluorocarbon.i used mamba 5 and6lb broke afew times went up to8lb was alright ,But did not feel sporting about it .tried sight free 5lb rainbows got 3lb for the brown trout up the highlands the 3lb was so weak,ihad to usethe 5lb for half pound brown trout. This stuff cost about 13 quid 100 metres .i bought one got one free  Iam now using virage which is pritty good. But only comes in 40 metre spools at5 pounds dose not last long between me and andrew started with 8lb now down to 6lb would like to go lower would be grateful for any advice . seem to have more breaks on the tube .do you still get fog gut that used to be good gut .when i could not afford maxima ,how things change. :lol:  :z4henryfrom the waterbouys :sad:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com