Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: Build Time - Sandy / Rob
« Reply #30 on: 12/02/2014 at 23:42 »
"Hard to keep things dust free as it is"

Yeah, all that dusting you do...

:z4  :z4

At least once a day, Will.  Same goes for running round with the hoover if I'm using any rod finish.  My place has never been so frequently cleaned  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #31 on: 13/02/2014 at 07:58 »
Well, Ben "doom and gloom" Dixon  :wink had me worried about the reel seat, but on collecting it from the Post Office it turns out that it's fine, although he still thinks its too big....and this is from a man that drives a Surf!!  :X2

However, as always, I spotted another seat that I fancy, so once more, I am trying to find a stockist in Europe. Cass is off to the US in a couple of weeks so I may just hang on. She is already ear marked to bring back 100 corks!..lol

Ben Dixon

« Reply #32 on: 13/02/2014 at 09:37 »
Rob,

It is a saltwater seat by your own admission, if you want to go and put that on to a 4wt bugging rod then on you go mate, I'm sure it will look great  :z4

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #33 on: 13/02/2014 at 09:51 »
Rob,

It is a saltwater seat by your own admission, if you want to go and put that on to a 4wt bugging rod then on you go mate, I'm sure it will look great  :z4

:z4 :z4 Saltwater Bugging is the new craze!!!

Just ordered something a little different :)...want to buy a saltwater silver Alps reelseat?  :X2 Will suit a Switch rod!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #34 on: 02/03/2014 at 08:36 »
I'm a long term Flexcoat lite fan :z16 have tried quite a few others without any real benefits, i have gotten some threadmaster lite this time (i got in syringe packs like the flexcoat for the first time) as i could get not Flexcoat lite in the UK (temporarily out of stock in the packs i like) So we shall see.

I'm 3 builds in with the Threadmaster Lite and i like it :z12
It seems to be slightly less viscous than the Flexcoat and has less issues holding Air bubbles (i think Rob mentioned this elsewhere, so we agree on something for a change :X2) It definately goes on better and levels itself out equally as well :z16

I reckon it takes longer to cure, but does seem to have a better finish, although it has a slight Yellowish cast compared to the more clear Flexcoat. The colour has made no difference and i don't think it would unless you were going to try for that completely invisible look on Cane, or were building on a white blank :z8

I will be using Threadmaster Lite in the future, especially as in the UK it is cheaper to buy.
I have definately found it easier to use and giving a better finish :z18

Cheers

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #35 on: 02/03/2014 at 08:51 »
Cool, at least I know!!

Could have used that info a month ago, just bought a trade pack of standard Flexcoat  :z4  I was about to hit buy on Threadmaster but sat and took stock of the fact that I had been happy with every Flexcoat finish I've achieved once I went to syringes for measurement but, you do have to be careful how you apply it if you want to put on a very thin first coat, a thin layer on dry thread is very hard to get even and it takes time.  It needs enough on to flow properly to level well IMO.  I'm using standard stuff and for the moment I think I'll stick with it (mainly due to the volume I have).

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #36 on: 02/03/2014 at 09:05 »
Could have used that info a month ago,

I didn't know enough a month ago :z7 to feel i could comment.
Never had a problem with Flexcoat either it just now more expensive to buy in the UK than Threadmaster, which is why i thought i'd try the other :z16 Shouldn't be an issue with a trade pack though :wink

Its all good stuff anyway, as you say getting the quantities right is the key, once thats in hand its a piece of cake :z18

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #37 on: 03/03/2014 at 07:38 »
Sandy, I was reading at the weekend that Threadmaster Lite takes twice as long to cure than standard Threadmaster.

To give you an idea, I epoxied an 11 foot worming rod at the weekend. I did a coat saturday morning and was able to put a second coat on at 2pm. I stopped the turner at 6pm and it was rock hard by Sunday morning.

I would say it was taking 4 hours to loose the tackiness and a be ready for a second coat.

That was in a room around 23-24 degrees.

I found it levels on the blank much better than Threadmaster.

I am going to use ProKote Lite on my bugging rod as the standard Threadmaster I have is perhaps a little too heavy for such a light rod.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #38 on: 03/03/2014 at 08:18 »
Sandy,

I think David Norwich still has trade pack of standard Flexcoat, he is by far the cheapest I have found and service is always first class.

Off fishing!

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #39 on: 03/03/2014 at 09:34 »
Sandy,

I think David Norwich still has trade pack of standard Flexcoat, he is by far the cheapest I have found and service is always first class.

Off fishing!

Ben

Psssst...Buy through Summerlands...about 2/3's the price. For example, 2oz bottles, ££13 at Summerlands, £21 through G n' B..plus you dont get charged "Highlands and Islands" rate for Aberdeen postage.

http://www.summerlands-tackle.co.uk/flex-coat-2-oz-flex-coat-super-kit.html?___store=default

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com