Hamish Young

River Dee 2014
« on: 28/01/2014 at 09:12 »
For all your news and reports from the Dee in 2014 :z16

H :cool:

Eddie Sinclair

Re: River Dee 2014
« Reply #1 on: 14/02/2014 at 21:23 »
First cast on the Dee for me tomorrow. Looking at the weather outside I hope the river is still fishable when I get there.

Cant wait.

Tight lines to anyone else on the river tomorrow.

Eddie. :z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 14/02/2014 at 21:48 »
Tight lines Eddie  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 14/02/2014 at 22:32 »
Enjoy :z16

Andy Wren

« Reply #4 on: 15/02/2014 at 10:13 »
 i want reports ,will be there on thursday !
thats assuming london is not totally flooded!

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 15/02/2014 at 18:34 »
ACW,
here is my report from todays efforts on a well known beat just below Banchory. We had 6 rods fishing over the 3 beats that this is split into. Water was rising during the day but remained clear. Water temperature was 36 degrees and air temperature was 37 so reasonable conditions for this beat at this time of the year. One slight issue was an extreme lack of fish. so far since the start of the season there have been zero springers from Park Bridge up to the beat we were fishing. It was good to have a cast but I only managed 1 small kelt for my day in the afternoon. The other rods had 4 kelts between them and one rod played a fish of some description briefly before it fell off.

I am  not sure where you are fishing next week but if it is above Banchory there seems to be a reasonable head of fish in some of the beats. I am fishing a beat lower down near Aberdeen next week so hopefully some fish will be in the lower river next week with the colder temperatures maybe holding them up. It was unusually quiet today even the kelts were not showing.

Tight lines for next week,

Eddie. :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 17/02/2014 at 07:50 »
Saturday saw me slipping and sliding my way to Sluie for a days fishing. Why oh why did it have to snow!

RSS met me on the bank and gave a great run down of the pools, where he expected fish to be, what flies to use and so on. His knowledge of the beat is fantastic and meant I could concentrate on fishing rather than wondering if I was in the right spot fishing the right methods.

Extremely slippy snow made getting to the waters adge rather interesting and I ended up on my backside more than once.

There was a tremendous downstream wind with regular gusts that nearly had me toppling head first into the rising river.

Casting was difficult, even when casting odd my left shoulder so after several hours battling the wind in the most likely pool, I was forced to retreat round the bend and fish a lower pool where the wind was slightly more forgiving.

I managed a pull, but that was it for the day. With the river rising and the snow melting fast I headed the mile home. I had a great day out, really enjoyed my first ever "proper" salmon beat and I can't wait to get back once the river settles.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 22/02/2014 at 22:44 »
Well,
first full week of fishing on a lower Dee beat. 2 rods fishing every day except Friday when the river was huge and Thursday when it was rising at an alarming rate.

On Monday myself and the Ghillie saw one fish move in the tail of one of the pools and that was that for the week. The only other movement was an otter on the Tuesday who I photographed with my phone as he stood on the bank with an expression which appeared to be asking me if I knew where the fish were as he could not find them either. The fishers on the middle river seem to having all the fun whilst the lower river from Banchory down is having a really lean time. That is 8 days out so far with one kelt so far to show for my efforts. Roll on March and our usual 3 days on a beat just below Banchory which is usually productive but this season, who knows.

Eddie :z8

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 22/02/2014 at 23:09 »
Out on Monday Eddie, here's hoping.  A fairly large party of Scandinavians arrived today so if there are fish about then I'm sure we'll see the evidence next week.

Cheers

Ben

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 22/02/2014 at 23:28 »
Ben,
you are right if there are fish about those guys will find them. It is going to be interesting when the upper river opens in March, I have a sneaking feeling that they will have some fun. All this high warmish water has allowed the fish to be further up the river than normal. Even though the lower river is struggling the catches from the middle river are on a par with usual which is pretty encouraging despite the river levels that we have experienced so far this season.

Tight lines for Monday.

Eddie.

Andy Wren

« Reply #10 on: 23/02/2014 at 18:13 »
Back from 3 days on L blachall and Inchmarlo.The house had one fish on the monday .
i saw 2 fish in the roepot end of story yesterday seemed near perfect conditions and nowt .
Where are all the fish.Last time on that beat some 4 years ago same time of year there were fish showing regularly .
Still good casting practice for the Wye season when it kicks off
Also thanks for all the trvel recomedations ,

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 23/02/2014 at 18:56 »
Looking massive big just now, hoping it comes down a little overnight........

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 24/02/2014 at 07:47 »
Looking massive big just now, hoping it comes down a little overnight........

Over the banks pretty much all the way in this morning. Was up Loch Muick yesterday and the water coming down the river there was amazing! River also over at Ballater.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 24/02/2014 at 18:34 »
Was fishable just below Banchory today by about 10:30, fished a Skagit iflight, 15' of T20 and 2 2" copper Willie Gunn tubes and only hung up once, water was tearing through but clear enough.  Had a serious bang an brief on and off from a fish I presume to be fresh and another good rattle which amounted to nothing.  That is as close as I have come so far this season!

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 25/02/2014 at 08:07 »
and 2 2" copper Willie Gunn tubes

Are you challenging Hamish for the biggest fly? A 22" copper tube probably would need a Skagit line :)

At least you had a rattle. Impressive after having seen the water over the fields on the way to work in the morning!.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com