Hamish Young

River Ythan 2014
« on: 28/01/2014 at 09:09 »
Thread for your River Ythan reports/news from season 2014  :z16

H :cool:

Sandy Nelson

Re: River Ythan 2014
« Reply #1 on: 28/02/2014 at 19:39 »
Well I've had a few trips down the river out back in the last couple of weeks, but so far not seen much, but then the river has been pretty coloured as well.

But this afternoon i decided to make a sharp exit at work as the weather was lovely.

So i headed home, got my gear set up and popped off to the river. The water was running a bit above normal height but nice and clear, so i thought i'd hedge my bets and use a wee size 12 black and red shrimpy spidery type fly that the Finnock liked last year.
So armed with my switch rod and a fastish polytip i worked my way down the water.

it was a lovely afternoon to be out so when i got my first short sharp pull i was day dreaming :z6 but encouraged i continued down the stream and soon got another take from a nice lively finnock about 11"

a few casts later and another lost fish, and i got a second, almost identical to the first, Great fun and i was considering going back to the house for the 4wt.

However i decided to finish the beat with the switch, as i got near to the bottom i got a good solid pull which didn't feel like a finnock :z7 Cool. It didn't come to anything so i moved back upstream about 100m and fished back down.

Same spot, good solid pull again and i was in :z16 Much stronger and quite a surprise.
After a few minutes the fish came up and i managed to get it into the small Sea-trout net i carry down here.

A Kelt for sure, but in great condition and my first Ythan Salmon, not quite that impossible Ythan Springer, but ace fun on a 6wt switch rod in a wee river and a size 12 fly. It was about 6-7lb and swam off strongly. could have been very interesting if i'd gone for the 4 wt

I had a great afternoon and am full of encouragement, especially with finnock in the system :z18

Cheers

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 01/03/2014 at 11:29 »
Cool report Sandy.  :z16

Liam

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 01/03/2014 at 11:43 »
Great stuff Sandy :z16

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 01/03/2014 at 16:02 »
Just clocked that Sandy, cool  :z16

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 05/03/2014 at 19:11 »
Was down Saturday morning and got some nice photo's, when i had a look at them tonight, i got a great Photo bombing fish :shock

Must be immense odds to catch it like that :z3

I thought it was a bird till i blew it up

:z12

Popped down this afternoon for a few casts, got a good few takes even though the water was just clearing up after the rain.
These translated to a brownie about 8" and a lovely wee fish of about 3/4 lb that doesn't look like a finnock more like a small sea trout and it fought like a sea-trout too. I had a classic small finnock as well but it was this one i found interesting.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking Slob?

Sandy

Mike Thornton

« Reply #6 on: 06/03/2014 at 08:24 »
Hi Sandy,
The shape of the fish,it's forked tail, and most importantly the yellow pectoral fin, lends me to think that this could probably be a large sea-trout smolt which has not yet made the transition to a mature fish. Such fish, which could be up to nearly 1lb in weight, used to be very common on the Ugie and Ythan in the fifties and were known locally as "yellow-fin". The pectoral fins on a finnock or sea-trout are either white or light grey. If the fish was a slob trout I think it's tail would be more square in appearance.
Hope I have not confused matters further.

Regards.....Mike T.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 06/03/2014 at 16:43 »
Hi Mike

I'm used to catching Yellow fin and this didn't really look or act like one. The picture actually looks a lot less silvery than the fish did, but i know what you mean regarding the pectoral's, thats why i wondered.
I had a few like this down at the estuary last year and they were sea-liced and all about 3/4-1 1/4lb.
Even my biggest of the season had yellowish fins

I'd be happy classing it as a yellow fin, or a brownie even, just amusing that it was bigger than all the finnock i've had so far.
It fought like a demon and i was surprised when i got it in.

All good fun regardless :z18

Sandy

Mike Thornton

« Reply #8 on: 06/03/2014 at 17:06 »
Hi Sandy,
It might be worth running it past Sandy Milne, the Ythan fishery board bailiff. If you get another one, sending scales to
Pitlochry may provide a conclusive answer.

Regards...... Mike T.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 06/03/2014 at 17:23 »
Mike

I believe Sandy is now chairman of the YFB, but its not a bad idea, i'll ask him next time he pops round :z16
If i get another, similar, i'll maybe get some scales, but i don't really like taking scales off fish, unless they come off and this fish had pretty tight scales not like a finnock.
Think i'll chalk it down as a big Yellow fin, that was my initial thought and it makes more sense.

Hoping this rain doesn't do much, so i can pop out tomorrow again :z12

Sandy

Duncan McRae

« Reply #10 on: 06/03/2014 at 18:56 »
Hi Sandy

I think your fish may well be a finnock which is still sporting it's Autumn colours.
The picture of your first finnock clearly shows new silver scale growth over the darker Autumn colours.
Well done.

Regards
Duncan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 09/03/2014 at 08:53 »
Back to Finnock, looking like finnock last night :z3

Sandy

Mike Thornton

« Reply #12 on: 09/03/2014 at 10:07 »
Certainly.

Mike T.

Magnus Angus

« Reply #13 on: 10/03/2014 at 19:15 »
You hearing that Usan have bought the netting rights for the Ythan?

http://flyfishing-and-flytying.co.uk/news/view/usans_acquire_ythan_fishing_and_salmon_netting_rights/

Has me wondering who sold the rights and what the Board were doing when the rights came on the market?

Dave Mundie

« Reply #14 on: 10/03/2014 at 22:21 »
I was told about this today and that it would be in the paper this week.  :z8

Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com