Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Eddie Sinclair

tropical saltwater fly lines
« on: 20/01/2014 at 22:44 »
Guys,
now that it looks like I will be heading off to warmer climes later this year I need some advice on tropical saltwater lines. I will need lines for 9 weight and 10 weight outfits to fish from the shore and from a boat. I have lines for here but do not know about the warm weather options.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eddie. :z18

Hamish Young

Re: tropical saltwater fly lines
« Reply #1 on: 20/01/2014 at 22:45 »
Sandy.........  :z17

H :cool:

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 20/01/2014 at 23:08 »
Are you looking at floaters or sinkers and what will you be throwing / fishing for?  I don't think you'll be disappointed with Rio tropical lines.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 21/01/2014 at 07:29 »
Have a look here: http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Tropical_Saltwater_Fly_Lines.html

You get some top quality lines at bargin prices.

Don't be scared of the Airflos. I use their cold saltwater and they are lovely. Not the curly lines of old, and they have an extra hard coating to resist sand and rock.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 21/01/2014 at 08:45 »
Are you looking at floaters or sinkers and what will you be throwing / fishing for? 

Ben,
I will be trying to catch trevally and small Tuna off the boat and I have no idea what I might find wading or fishing off jetties. I would probably go for one floater and one sinker.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 21/01/2014 at 09:38 »
I don't think you'll be disappointed with Rio tropical lines.

I tried loads Eddie, and i would fully agree with Ben.
The Rio Tropicals are by far the best. The Tropical II was my goto line for most things- awesome kit :z16. Outbounds are brutal so unless you are chucking really large Poppers go for the normal lines.
I never really used a floater it was almost always an Intermediate or a 350grain sinker and the fastest Roly-poly retrieve i could manage, everything in the sea, swims fast :wink

Avoid anything with texture, it collects sand and salt and wrecks rings VERY quickly.

Cheers

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 21/01/2014 at 11:31 »
Sandy,
many thanks,

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #7 on: 21/01/2014 at 20:45 »
I've found the Orvis tropical lines good and that a clear intermediate better for Bonefish than a floater when wading. The floater moves with the wind moving the fly compared to the intermediate which gives you full control as when and how quickly the fly moves.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com