Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Scolopax

Re: Poor Man's Vice ?
« Reply #30 on: 07/02/2014 at 18:52 »
Just in case you were wondering - the vice is holding up very well and I must have tied around 75 flies on it so far from 14 -10 size.

But I have had to go back into the workshop - as I got really fed up with cutting 2inches of tinsel and throwing half of it away - the same applies to the floss and all the other bits needed to tie in. 

There was also another problem - Pearsall's Gossamer bobbins are tiny - I tried a makeshift way of getting them to fit the normal bobbin holder but it came apart way too many times and wrapping thread back onto a tiny bobbin is not one of my favourite occupations.  I hate wasting time !!

So Micro Bobbin holders here we are.   I applied the same logic to making a hackle guage and then I found some old (empty) brass cartridges -a .44 and 9mm magnum - in a drawer and they looked ideal for a hair stacker.  So that was my evening sorted

Hope you had a good one too.
C

Will Shaw

« Reply #31 on: 07/02/2014 at 19:25 »
Nice work Colin. Really like the hair stacker.  :z16

W.

Scolopax

« Reply #32 on: 07/02/2014 at 20:09 »
Yeah, reminds me of Dirty Harry !!

Sure you have a much better version !!   As you have gathered, if I don't have something, rather than jump in the car and drive half an hour, I will spend that time making it !!

Just tied some Polish nymphs - but didn't have the right colours . . .

Still not very impressed with the capes I have - nearly all the feathers are way too big - anyone recommend a good supplier for better more narrow feathers ??

Take care
C

Magnus Angus

« Reply #33 on: 12/02/2014 at 06:34 »

I take it a Jvice was the main inspiration?
http://www.jvice.com/pages/gallery_1/jvice_pictures.html

Scolopax

« Reply #34 on: 14/02/2014 at 16:33 »
Actually I saw this when my design was well on the way, but I do like the simplicity - the Waldron and Stonefly  and the Snowbe were all taking part in its evolution.

But the main design driver was the raw materials that I had to work with - if I didn't have anything to make a design, I changed it to accommodate what I found in the drawer

C

Peter McCallum

« Reply #35 on: 04/03/2014 at 18:49 »
In the spirit of artisan work in fly tying equipment how about this one?

Still work in progress till I can get a decent piece of steel for the stem but tied about 20 tubes on sunday on it without much of a problem.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #36 on: 04/03/2014 at 18:54 »
Cool, nice job Pete  :z16

What is it reclaimed from? 

Liking the neat and organised thread collection in the background (Kev, take note).

Ben

Peter McCallum

« Reply #37 on: 05/03/2014 at 08:35 »
No reclamation, all made by me from PTFE (Nylon may have been better but it was all I had in the shed). The stem is an emergency fix till some 5/8" stainless arrives but it will be finished :wink by the time I need more tubes :X2

Scolopax

« Reply #38 on: 06/03/2014 at 07:34 »
Love the simplicity - was looking at adding a tube fly attachment to mine.  I see the LAW vice is now on the market again.  Might have a go at costing mine out :-0  Sure it would be cheaper

Take care
Colin

Peter McCallum

« Reply #39 on: 06/03/2014 at 09:14 »
My initial plan was to allow it to attach to my LAW but a separate vice was easier. Think yours would definitely be less expensive, if you want a tester.......... :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com