Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Will Shaw

Re: Poor Man's Vice ?
« Reply #25 on: 03/02/2014 at 13:27 »
That's an Endrick Spider Colin!  :z4

Glad you enjoyed it. If you pick it up as quickly as the casting you'll be turning out framed salmon flies in no time!

W.

Scolopax

« Reply #26 on: 05/02/2014 at 07:36 »
That's an Endrick Spider Colin!  :z4

Glad you enjoyed it. If you pick it up as quickly as the casting you'll be turning out framed salmon flies in no time!

W.

Ooops - I wrote it down correctly, but when I looked for a pattern only Hendrickson came up, so thought I misheard you
Thanks
Add: Just found Mike's excellent post on how to tie the very same !  - this forum is awesome - which is more than I can say for another one !!
C

Scolopax

« Reply #27 on: 05/02/2014 at 21:06 »
Just realised I said that I would post my first attempts at fly tying.

Well, to start I have learnt a lot, don't even think of having a glass (or two) before or during - I had to cut all my hard efforts off the hook before I retired defeated last night !!

What have I learnt - nymphs are easier than most !!  There is a HUGE amount of waste - and cats are fascinated by the bits and the FLIES, so that was worth learning quickly !

Wing slips are very difficult and the bobbin rest that seems a standard fitment to most vices - is a pain in the ..... and gets in the way.  But if you leave the bobbin dangling by its own weight, it unravels the thread and makes it break even more easily.  So new bobbin rest under design . . .

OK, here we go  - this one was supposed to be a Black Pennel, but I got carried away - and the other thing I have learnt is that most of the feathers on my capes are way too big !!

Next one is a Black Pennel

Nymphs follow

These are my very first attempts and I am sure I will get better  :-)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #28 on: 06/02/2014 at 08:53 »
Excellent ..... good efforts :z16

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #29 on: 06/02/2014 at 11:02 »
 :z16

Scolopax

« Reply #30 on: 07/02/2014 at 18:52 »
Just in case you were wondering - the vice is holding up very well and I must have tied around 75 flies on it so far from 14 -10 size.

But I have had to go back into the workshop - as I got really fed up with cutting 2inches of tinsel and throwing half of it away - the same applies to the floss and all the other bits needed to tie in. 

There was also another problem - Pearsall's Gossamer bobbins are tiny - I tried a makeshift way of getting them to fit the normal bobbin holder but it came apart way too many times and wrapping thread back onto a tiny bobbin is not one of my favourite occupations.  I hate wasting time !!

So Micro Bobbin holders here we are.   I applied the same logic to making a hackle guage and then I found some old (empty) brass cartridges -a .44 and 9mm magnum - in a drawer and they looked ideal for a hair stacker.  So that was my evening sorted

Hope you had a good one too.
C

Will Shaw

« Reply #31 on: 07/02/2014 at 19:25 »
Nice work Colin. Really like the hair stacker.  :z16

W.

Scolopax

« Reply #32 on: 07/02/2014 at 20:09 »
Yeah, reminds me of Dirty Harry !!

Sure you have a much better version !!   As you have gathered, if I don't have something, rather than jump in the car and drive half an hour, I will spend that time making it !!

Just tied some Polish nymphs - but didn't have the right colours . . .

Still not very impressed with the capes I have - nearly all the feathers are way too big - anyone recommend a good supplier for better more narrow feathers ??

Take care
C

Magnus Angus

« Reply #33 on: 12/02/2014 at 06:34 »

I take it a Jvice was the main inspiration?
http://www.jvice.com/pages/gallery_1/jvice_pictures.html

Scolopax

« Reply #34 on: 14/02/2014 at 16:33 »
Actually I saw this when my design was well on the way, but I do like the simplicity - the Waldron and Stonefly  and the Snowbe were all taking part in its evolution.

But the main design driver was the raw materials that I had to work with - if I didn't have anything to make a design, I changed it to accommodate what I found in the drawer

C

Peter McCallum

« Reply #35 on: 04/03/2014 at 18:49 »
In the spirit of artisan work in fly tying equipment how about this one?

Still work in progress till I can get a decent piece of steel for the stem but tied about 20 tubes on sunday on it without much of a problem.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #36 on: 04/03/2014 at 18:54 »
Cool, nice job Pete  :z16

What is it reclaimed from? 

Liking the neat and organised thread collection in the background (Kev, take note).

Ben

Peter McCallum

« Reply #37 on: 05/03/2014 at 08:35 »
No reclamation, all made by me from PTFE (Nylon may have been better but it was all I had in the shed). The stem is an emergency fix till some 5/8" stainless arrives but it will be finished :wink by the time I need more tubes :X2

Scolopax

« Reply #38 on: 06/03/2014 at 07:34 »
Love the simplicity - was looking at adding a tube fly attachment to mine.  I see the LAW vice is now on the market again.  Might have a go at costing mine out :-0  Sure it would be cheaper

Take care
Colin

Peter McCallum

« Reply #39 on: 06/03/2014 at 09:14 »
My initial plan was to allow it to attach to my LAW but a separate vice was easier. Think yours would definitely be less expensive, if you want a tester.......... :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com