Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Re: Getting back into it.
« Reply #15 on: 19/01/2014 at 14:12 »
Thanks Sandy   :z16

I might just settle for those. I'd probably cry if I lost a good due to a poncy hook straightening. No chance of that with a meaty hook.

:z18
Liam

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: 19/01/2014 at 15:11 »
Nothing particularly meaty about a B100 or B405, great, strong, light wire hooks :z16

B110 and B175 are meaty, but great for nymphs and wets.

I don't really use any others except B160's for heavy spiders :z16

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #17 on: 19/01/2014 at 15:47 »
Sandy  :z16

I think I'll just go with the Kamasans. Just shy of 1000 hooks in all the sizes I need for £65, now thats good value.That means I can tie all my river and loch patterns and still have a few hundred hooks left over. If I was to go with the FishOn range I would get just over 500 for the same price  :z6.It's a no brainer really. What are people tying there Klinks on these days, Partridge Klinkhammer extremes or Varivas 2200BL?

Cheers
Liam

Liam Stephen

« Reply #18 on: 24/01/2014 at 13:45 »
When buying CDC what's  best? I've come across two options, CDC and Wild Mallard CDC. What is the difference?

Liam

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #19 on: 24/01/2014 at 13:56 »
Liam,
I spoke with Steven and he has claimed the vice. Sorry about that.

Eddie.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #20 on: 24/01/2014 at 13:57 »
hi Liam, it's maybe a little bit more complex than you'd want. here's a really good lowdown on cdc feathers  http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/tying-with-cdc/

Liam Stephen

« Reply #21 on: 24/01/2014 at 14:31 »
Eddie  :z16

No problem, I did think that might be the case. Thanks for letting know  :z18.

Hi Marc

Thanks for the link. Some really good info but I'm a little more confused now :X1. I'll get there eventually...

Cheers
Liam

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #22 on: 24/01/2014 at 14:59 »
but I'm a little more confused now :X1. I'll get there eventually...
yeah, sorry about that mate but (most) retailers don't either know s--- about these feathers or don't care to explain. thing is, it all depends on what fly you intend to tie and it's size, whether you'll be winding the feather or just tying in fibres, floatability or not, etc, etc, etc.
think of it as a challenge !  :z4
cheers,
marc

Liam Stephen

« Reply #23 on: 24/01/2014 at 15:14 »
No worries Marc. The flies I would like to tie include all those methods i.e wrapping for CDC n Elks, tying in the tips for JT Olives, I also need some nymphs with collars. So a little bit of everything really. Does the bird the feathers come from make much difference though?

Liam

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #24 on: 24/01/2014 at 16:52 »
Does the bird the feathers come from make much difference though?
yup, they may all be from the bird's preen gland but different birds have different fibre qualities, some excrete more oil than others, etc.
best seems to be from wild ducks but a lot of distributors are selling crap from farmed ducks and other fowl. specially the more-known bigger brands.
another issue is the dying process when choosing unnatural colours which necessitates removing the feather's natural oils. some processes are 'better for the feather' than others, if you will, but either way, some sort of oil needs to be put back on the feathers before being sold. standard procedure is putting farmed-duck oil but that oil isn't very good...
it's all a pain in the a-- really  :z4

outside of gathering them from hunters, these from Lucian at Troutline.ro are as flawless as it gets for wings and general fiber-only use http://www.troutline.ro/ultra-selected-campbell-cdc-feathers-in-natural-colors.html
another great option is to give Steve @ Cookshill a call and tell him exactly what kind of flies you intend to tie and he'll sort you out good. http://www.cookshill-flytying.co.uk/cdc.htm
cheers,
marc

Liam Stephen

« Reply #25 on: 25/01/2014 at 06:18 »
Marc  :z16

Thanks for that I'll try Lucian as he gets great reviews on the FFF. I plan to call Steve when I'm back as I've heard he does the best quality feathers.

Many thanks

Liam Stephen

« Reply #26 on: 25/01/2014 at 06:35 »
Hey guys   :z16

Does anyone have a spare vice they'd be willing to sell? Preferably a pedestal one as I'm not sure my grandma would be happy with me clamping one to her table.

Cheers
Liam

suki1312

Re: Re: Getting back into it.
« Reply #27 on: 26/01/2014 at 15:49 »
Hi Liam I have a spare pedestal one , cost new £50 if you send me your email address I will send you pictures looking for £40 that includes delivery ;D

Liam Stephen

« Reply #28 on: 26/01/2014 at 16:26 »
Suki  :z16

PM sent.

Cheers
Liam

Liam Stephen

« Reply #29 on: 20/02/2014 at 20:13 »
I picked up a nice Anvil Apex from Somers today. I must say I'm very impressed with it, solid build and simple to use. No flies tied yet as I'm still in the process of getting everything ordered. I was shocked how small hooks are though... After fishing where I have, how I have a size 8 hook was small. Picked up a pack of B100 size 14 and holy shit they were tiny I think it will be a while before I'm knocking out size 20 klinks.

Liam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com