Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Getting back into it.
« on: 11/01/2014 at 09:40 »
Hey folks,

Got plans to leave Thailand and return home soon. Obviously it's close season now so I'm determined to get a box full of flies before April. I have a starter kit with a few bits n' pieces back home somewhere. However I think the reason I got so  frustrated before was because my tools and vice was so crap.

I've decided to start of with the following patterns: D.H.E, CDC n Elk, Michaels Caddis (a beast of a fly which Windknot tied for me), Klinkhammer, JT Olive, Jingler, CDC Sherry Spinner, Griffiths Gnat, Goolagers PTN, GRHE, March Brown Spider and Black Pennel.

I feel these patterns are pretty straight forward to tie and i know they are bloody effective. I'll add a few more here and there but I think I've got the hatches covered.

I know what materials will be required more or less.  I have a few questions though...

Has anyone tried FishOn Productions barbless hooks, if so how are they?

What is the best thread to use, I experienced a lot of snapping and fraying before? Might have been due to my bobbin.

I have £125 for a Vice, Ceramic bobbin, scissors, hair stacker, hackle pliers, dubbing needle etc... Any thing else I may need or any suggestions for the above?

I'm going to give this a proper try this time. So any info would be great.

Cheers
Liam

Hamish Young

Re: Getting back into it.
« Reply #1 on: 11/01/2014 at 11:10 »
I have £125 for a Vice, Ceramic bobbin, scissors, hair stacker, hackle pliers, dubbing needle etc... Any thing else I may need or any suggestions for the above?

Mainly as I like their kit, I'd opt for a Stonefly tool kit: http://www.anglingactive.co.uk/stonefly-tool-kit.html and maybe this vice: http://www.anglingactive.co.uk/veniard-no1-rotary-vice.html but there's plenty of choice out there.

H :cool:

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 11/01/2014 at 14:49 »
Thanks Hamish  :z16

That's kit is definatley a contender. Should of said I'd prefer a pedestal vice, would I be right in thinking they are more expensive?

Saddle hackles for dries are causing some confusion. What's with all the grades and types? For the patterns I hope to tie I will need the following colours black, brown or light brown, grizzle and dun. Who does the best and where can I buy them?

Cheers
Liam

Iain Cameron

« Reply #3 on: 11/01/2014 at 19:59 »
Has anyone tried FishOn Productions barbless hooks, if so how are they?

hi Liam

Aye, I use these a lot - the range is simple and solid - I like the shapes and colour of the hooks, and I've had no problems with hook ups or hooks straightening or failing. Nice simple range - dry, nymph, wet, curved, emergers and jigs.

cheers
iain
ps, welcome back!

Liam Stephen

« Reply #4 on: 12/01/2014 at 06:58 »
Hey Iain  :z16

Cool sounds like just what I'm after. Very reasonably priced as well, I can get all my hooks in one go - awesome. It's all starting to come to shape now. I sat down last night and made a list of materials that I will need and a rough estimate cost wise, not as bad as I thought it might have been  :z14.

I'm excited as hell now! Bring on April   :z18

Cheers
Liam

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 14/01/2014 at 11:41 »
Liam,
The Stonefly tools are good but the bobbin holder isn't adjustable so can be hit or miss depending on the spool used. When it's good it is very good but when it's bad you'll want to chuck in the bin. However salvation is your for under £20.
Get a Tiemco bobbin holder and you will have no regrets.

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/tiemco-ceramic-bobbin-holder~614.html

or Google for cheaper shops.
Judging by the weather today, stay in Thailand for a wee while longer! :z4

:z1

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 14/01/2014 at 13:44 »
Yup Liam the tiemco bobbin holder very good, i use the Stonefly one for holding spools of Glow Brite Floss as it makes tying with this material much easier and with the bobbin holder being pretty loose it doesn't break as often as you would in a 'better' holder. 

Liam Stephen

« Reply #7 on: 14/01/2014 at 14:37 »
Ewan and Alan  :z16

Thanks for that. I'll go with the Tiemcos. Would I be rightin thinking the Anvil Apex is the best quality vise for £100? Any other recommendations?

Cheers
Liam

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 14/01/2014 at 18:37 »
Liam,
I have used one of these for many years tying many many flies from small trout to big saltwater patterns. Even though I managed to break a jaw collet last year I was reminded by Rob that they have a lifetime guarantee. I took it into Somers and it was replaced with no fuss whatsoever.

For the money it is a good piece of kit.

Eddie. :z18

Liam Stephen

« Reply #9 on: 14/01/2014 at 20:16 »
Eddie  :z16

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like this will be the one I will end up buying.

:z18
Liam

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #10 on: 14/01/2014 at 20:23 »
Liam,
I could have one for sale second hand, recently replaced assuming that Steven does not want it as my wife has bought me a new vise. I will check with Steven and let you know.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #11 on: 14/01/2014 at 20:52 »
Eddie  :z16

That would be brilliant. If Steven does not want it, could you please hold it for me until I'm home?

:z18
Liam

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: 15/01/2014 at 13:42 »
Liam,
will do.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #13 on: 19/01/2014 at 13:23 »
Hi folks  :z14

Still trying to put a list of tying gear and materials together. Hooks are something I've been debating over barbless FishOn, Partridge, Varivas or barbed Kamasan (crushed of course). The barbless hooks seem to be fashionable at the moment and to me look a lot nicer. However the models I've looked at tend to have a fine gauge wire. The Kamasans are solid looking hooks and are cheaper but is the heavy gauge wire necessary? How many people experienced losing fish due to hook failure last season. I know some very big fish were caught, what hooks were you guys using?

One more thing does Lakeland regularly update their stocks. Most things seem to be sold out... Where else can I try?

Cheers
Liam

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 19/01/2014 at 13:45 »
Liam

I'm fishing Kamasan almost all the time :z16 Confidence is everything.
Only exceptions are the Partridge SLD's

But as you know its entirely subjective and we all have our own favourtites.

been getting the Kamasans off Fishteaserflies on the bay of E, excellant service and plenty stock at good prices. :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com