Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Canary29

Kinked/Coiled Line
« on: 06/01/2014 at 15:26 »
Hi all - Happy New Year to everyone.
This has probably been covered in the past but as a new member I am looking for advice on how to remove kinks and coils from two floating lines.  They are brand new so I can only I assume it was the way I loaded the reel.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Jim Eddie

Re: Kinked/Coiled Line
« Reply #1 on: 06/01/2014 at 16:40 »
Hi Canary

Put the line in a bucket of warm water, tie a swivel ( as you would use for spinning) to a post. Tie the line to the swivel and stretch.

:z18

Jim

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 06/01/2014 at 16:54 »
Don't want to denigrate any particular line manufacturer but what lines do you have? :z12

Mike Barrio

Re: Kinked/Coiled Line New
« Reply #3 on: 06/01/2014 at 18:06 »
Hi folks :cool:

Stretching lines is not usually the answer, or good for the lines. This can depend on what you call stretching, running line off in arm lengths and gently stretching between your arms ( like you would a tapered leader ) can sometimes help, but stretching a long length from a fixed point can damage lines and often make the twist worse.

Line twist is frequently caused by not spooling a line correctly, especially if the line is left on the floor on the spool and then reeled in while the line is curling around that spool as it comes off in circles. There are casting faults/practices that can also cause a line to twist.

If you are putting a new line on your reel, ensure that you have something like a pencil through the plastic packaging spool and either ask somebody to hold the pencil on either side of the spool or grip the pencil ends between your knees ..... then wind the line on your reel with the reel and the plastic spool lined up in the same direction.

If you are trying to fix a line that has line twist, I find it is best to lay the line out at full length on a field if possible ( better still let it drift downstream on a river ) and then reel the line in slowly through your other hand while gripping the line between that hand's thumb and a finger with a little tension. You will see the line trying to untwist itself beyond your hand. You may have to repeat this process a few times to get rid of all the twists depending on how bad the line twist is. It can be useful to have a wee piece of damp cloth or a line cleaning pad between your thumb and finger to lower the risk of the line friction burning your fingers.

Hope this helps!
Best wishes
Mike

Canary29

« Reply #4 on: 07/01/2014 at 20:06 »
Thanks for the info guys! The lines I have was a cheap Air Flo, realised that was rubbish so bought a Barrio line and have same issues so I can only assume it was the way it was loaded onto the spool!

New to this fly lark! I'll get there!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com