Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Irvine Ross

Re: Spey plume..... experimentation
« Reply #60 on: 19/01/2014 at 16:54 »
If the ghillie is not  in robust good health you'd better have a defibrilator to hand when you tie those on your leader :wink

Awesome

Irvine

Ben Dixon

« Reply #61 on: 19/01/2014 at 22:30 »

Nice imitative bumble bee pattern Hamish.  With enough watershed on it, dapped over a loch with sufficiently high alcohol content it may pull a fish or two.  Once you've tried it, let me know how it works and I may knock some up  :lol

Hamish Young

« Reply #62 on: 19/01/2014 at 22:53 »
If you've seen a bumble bee that big I'm impressed  :shock

Honest it does look interesting in the water, but I'm not convinced it's really my 'thing' for Salmon  :z6

H :cool:

Ben Dixon

« Reply #63 on: 19/01/2014 at 22:56 »
Has it got a cone / washer thing on the front?  I can't see from that angle.

Hamish Young

« Reply #64 on: 19/01/2014 at 23:04 »
Not yet - you suggesting it's a Chernobyl Bee with a crash helmet :?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #65 on: 19/01/2014 at 23:06 »
 :z4

Nope, just thinking it may swim better with one on.  I played about with that sort of thing a lot some time back and with the really soft material, they do work quite well and certainly help the materials maintain a shape.  Due to them not catching me any more fish, the cost of materials and the time they take to tie, I went back to more conventional stuff though.  Maybe I'm just tight & lazy..

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #66 on: 19/01/2014 at 23:10 »
I think you're quite it will want a cone or a turbo disc of some kind. Trouble is I've got some issues with my selection of cones in that none of them are the size of a small bus........ and that's what I need  :z4

Working on it  :wink

Ben Dixon

« Reply #67 on: 19/01/2014 at 23:16 »
I think you're quite it will want a cone or a turbo disc of some kind. Trouble is I've got some issues with my selection of cones in that none of them are the size of a small bus........ and that's what I need  :z4

Working on it  :wink

Not sure if it is still there but there is a wing length / disc diameter correlation.  Too big a disc with too short a wing results in a lifeless fly, too small a disc on too long a wing and the thing compresses with water pressure and sort of just snots up around the tube and you loose and sort of transparency and appearance of life that those mobile materials can give.  Guideline had some info on their site when I was playing that stuff, if you can't find, ask Gaz at GAC.

Cheers

Ben

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #68 on: 19/01/2014 at 23:16 »
H,
I am sure that the ghillie later on this month will have an opinion on these but I am reserving judgement because sods law dictates that you will end up laughing at us with our normal tubes and then we will all want one :X2

On another note can you bring the 18 footer, if it is still for sale so that I can have a chuck. I have been thinking that if I move to the desert to live for a few years then I will have plenty of room to practice distance casting without the distraction of actually fishing.

Eddie. :z18

Ben Dixon

« Reply #69 on: 19/01/2014 at 23:24 »
H,
I am sure that the ghillie later on this month will have an opinion on these

Yup he will.  Probably something along the lines of "is that Skagit big enough to carry a Rapala" unless the water comes down a bit!

Hamish Young

« Reply #70 on: 19/01/2014 at 23:27 »
Guideline had some info on their site when I was playing that stuff, if you can't find, ask Gaz at GAC.

Cool, I'll have a squint or drop Gaz a line.
I am sure that the ghillie later on this month will have an opinion on these but I am reserving judgement because sods law dictates that you will end up laughing at us with our normal tubes and then we will all want one :X2

We'll see...... thinking of bringing down a beachcaster and some leadcore which might the only things I possess that will chuck Chernobyl Bees  :shock
Methinks Mr Kirk might take a dim view  :z10

On another note can you bring the 18 footer, if it is still for sale so that I can have a chuck.

It is and I will  :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #71 on: 19/01/2014 at 23:34 »
Methinks Mr Kirk might take a dim view  frown

It is not up to him, it is up to the fish to decide.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #72 on: 19/01/2014 at 23:56 »
Cpt Kirk may as well be a salmon Eddie  :z4

Hopeful about next week, just need a little less water and a bit more clarity.  That beat will fish very well in a very big water.

Ben

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #73 on: 19/01/2014 at 23:59 »
Ben,
looking forward to a day out regardless of conditions. A chance to blow away the cobwebs and as always with spring fishing, you just never know.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #74 on: 20/01/2014 at 07:37 »
Hamish, Turbo cones will have something that will fit that. GAC have them.

Failing that, get down to the local scrap yard and see if they have a couple of hub caps of an old mini. Sorted ;)

You could always stick a tungsten Eumer pike cone on it. Weighs about 30g and you can then use it on a spinning rod :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com