Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Spey plume..... experimentation
« Reply #45 on: 16/01/2014 at 07:41 »
Salmon and 'other salmonids'  :wink
In the spring these have been in the region of 5-6" long and some even bigger.

My my Hamish, these are huge fish to be catching ;)

Hamish Young

« Reply #46 on: 16/01/2014 at 07:52 »
Ha :! Good one.
Do you fly fish for Pike Rob :?  :z7

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #47 on: 16/01/2014 at 08:06 »
Right, sounds like your are trying to achieve what I am also trying to achieve, difference being, my flies need to be cast on a single handed rod rather than a salmon rod.

I have found there are two items out there that give me a bulky body (no, not steroids!) whilst retaining castability. The first is a kind of 1.5" straggle fritz thing that I do not know the name of just now (Yankie I think), but will get it for you. Angus Angling has it in loads of different colours. Its like the Veniard stuff, but the colours are better and it is more solid once tied in.

Once tied in and brushed back, you get a fly that is around 1.5" across that does not thin down in water. Add a bucktail collar every 3-4 turns and you have a very bulky fly around 6" long.

I tie another version of the above fly that uses EP Fibre as a wing, but it is tied in "wide" to shroud the body. This again keeps its shape in water.

Using EP brushes you get a very different look. It is not so sparkly for one, so if you want solid colour rather than flash, this is the one to go for. They do do a version with subtle sparkle, so you can ring the changes. The EP version is easy to trim with scissors two so you can taper the fly. You can also tie it onto an articulated shank, trim to shape and end up with a highly mobile fly that looks like and swims like a jointed Rapala. When using Ep I tend not to bother with a "wing", no need for it.

I will try and dig out some example flies.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #48 on: 16/01/2014 at 08:07 »
Do you fly fish for Pike Rob :?  :z7

No, this year I am mostly going to be fly fishing for Marlin out of Stonehaven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #49 on: 16/01/2014 at 08:13 »
Forgot to say...to add length, use some matching EP fibre to add a tail....if you want a dark back, use a pen...sorted.

Hamish Young

« Reply #50 on: 18/01/2014 at 22:51 »
I saw a lot of flies a few years back there were just a short strip of rabbit behind a cone, simple but seemingly very effective. 

To coin something from somebody else........ "it's all about to happen" :wink

H :wink

Hamish Young

« Reply #51 on: 19/01/2014 at 10:19 »
I got distracted.....

and....

I promise I have been tying vaguely normal tube flies as well. Honest. No... really :! :!

:wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #52 on: 19/01/2014 at 10:31 »
Jim Henson would be proud :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #53 on: 19/01/2014 at 10:46 »
You might want to use another lens Hamish, that one makes all the flies in your photos look huge :wink

Hamish Young

« Reply #54 on: 19/01/2014 at 10:56 »
Jim Henson would be proud :z16

Sandy

As I've had a couple of calls I must emphasise that no Muppets were harmed in the production of these flies  :z16

You might want to use another lens Hamish, that one makes all the flies in your photos look huge :wink

:z13 They're each about 5 inches long and about 6 inches across, so they are a wee bit large.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #55 on: 19/01/2014 at 10:59 »
As I've had a couple of calls I must emphasise that no Muppets were harmed in the production of these flies  :z16

Phew..... I thought you'd been decapitating Fraggles :z7

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #56 on: 19/01/2014 at 11:09 »
woW ! H-Man !  :z4  can we see them wet ?

Hamish Young

« Reply #57 on: 19/01/2014 at 11:32 »
woW ! H-Man !  :z4  can we see them wet ?

Possibly. I'm working on finding a way to make that happen.
However, she who must be obeyed has suggested she might 'give me a hand' to tidy up my fly tying den the kitchen.
Seems I have fly tying stuff and rods and.... well, you get the idea.... everywhere around the house and they must be tidied up immediately :!

The orange and white one is possibly a dud, the white stuff is not the same as the orange stuff (raccoon/fox) and wettened down it looks odd.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #58 on: 19/01/2014 at 11:41 »
I hide stuff under the bed Hamish :wink

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #59 on: 19/01/2014 at 12:34 »
do you do your tying there too ?  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com