Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Spey plume..... experimentation
« Reply #30 on: 09/01/2014 at 11:18 »
I tied one last night about 1am which is about 4" long on a plastic tube which looks the mutts nuts, even if I say so myself.

Excellent!!

Whats the resoning behind the bulk, or is it a secret ;)

Interesting you mention the bulk as Eumer have a plastic "body" that you slip over a standard tube. This gives much more bulk and allows the rabbit to form a substantial mouthful. Not seen the bodies in the UK, but you can get the pre made flies. £7.99-£11.99 each!!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #31 on: 09/01/2014 at 11:19 »
And this

Hamish Young

« Reply #32 on: 09/01/2014 at 12:04 »
Not quite finished, but getting there.

The more I use rabbit, the more I like it :z16

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #33 on: 09/01/2014 at 12:22 »
Have you got Steelheads running up there? :)

Have you "swum" them yet? The movement rabbit has just cannot be matched..I love the stuff as well.

Off to Somers to buy some Racoon strips...I have a cunning plan also!!

Hamish Young

« Reply #34 on: 09/01/2014 at 22:53 »
As it happens.... I have 'swum' a couple of the patterns and they look bloody awesome in the water  :z12

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #35 on: 10/01/2014 at 07:39 »
As it happens.... I have 'swum' a couple of the patterns

Bath by any chance?

Hamish Young

« Reply #36 on: 10/01/2014 at 09:42 »
No, Bath is a wee bit too far down the road to test flies in the waters of the Avon.

I used Inverness Marina  :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #37 on: 10/01/2014 at 12:18 »
No, Bath is a wee bit too far down the road to test flies in the waters of the Avon.

:z4  :z4  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #38 on: 10/01/2014 at 12:36 »

Boom boom!!!  :X1

Hamish Young

« Reply #39 on: 11/01/2014 at 11:11 »
Boom boom!!!  :X1
I could not resist  :z7

Hamish Young

« Reply #40 on: 15/01/2014 at 15:12 »
Sorry Rob I missed this:
Whats the resoning behind the bulk, or is it a secret ;)

No secret. In the past I have had a not inconsiderable amount of success with rapalas, kynochs and other wobbling lures for Salmon and 'other salmonids'  :wink
In the spring these have been in the region of 5-6" long and some even bigger.
I have it in mind to replicate the bulk of these spinning/trolling/harling lures in something I can chuck on a fly rod (stage 1).
Stage 2 is to have the bulk and with certain uses of certain materials endeavour to replicate the action (to some extent) of the afore-mentioned lures :wink
Madness :?
Quite possibly, but I'm doing it because I believe can and it amuses me to try  :z12

Want them to try out, but I'd want to tie over the plastic body and the pic suggests that's not how they're used  :z10

Irvine Ross

« Reply #41 on: 15/01/2014 at 16:31 »
Sorry Rob I missed this:
No secret. In the past I have had a not inconsiderable amount of success with rapalas, kynochs and other wobbling lures for Salmon and 'other salmonids'  :wink
In the spring these have been in the region of 5-6" long and some even bigger.
I have it in mind to replicate the bulk of these spinning/trolling/harling lures in something I can chuck on a fly rod (stage 1).
Stage 2 is to have the bulk and with certain uses of certain materials endeavour to replicate the action (to some extent) of the afore-mentioned lures :wink
Madness :?
Quite possibly, but I'm doing it because I believe can and it amuses me to try  :z12

So why not tie a 6" wing on a standard tube fly? That way you would get the size and the motion without having to cast the weight and the bulk of an adult rabbit :z8
A big Runray Shadow  or a Clouser minnow type thing springs to mind.

Irvine

Hamish Young

« Reply #42 on: 15/01/2014 at 17:32 »
So why not tie a 6" wing on a standard tube fly? That way you would get the size and the motion without having to cast the weight and the bulk of an adult rabbit :z8
A big Runray Shadow  or a Clouser minnow type thing springs to mind.

Irvine

Fair questions Irvine.....

So do remember part of this process is to satiate the Dr Jekyll/ Mr Hyde thing that goes on when I get the fly tying kit at this time of year every year and doesn't necessarily reflect the vaguely normal fly tying process that goes on here in this small part of Inverness-shire for the rest of the season :wink

For me a 6" wing just doesn't work with the materials I want to work with for the properties they bring to the fly. Sure, I could tie a GWG on a plastic tube that's about the overall length I'm after but just not the sheer physical size (or more likely the perceived physical size) of fly I want to create once it's in the water and wet.

The rabbit has possibly been superseded by finn racoon, we'll see. For me half of the fun is in trying something out for the first time, I know the wound rabbit zonker strip based patterns will require a skagit plus a degree of bravery hitherto largely unseen in my casting to make them 'cast-able' let alone 'fish-able'.
However I have learnt one or two things whilst fixing the relatives of Hazel, Pipkin and General Woundwort to bits of brass, tungsten, aluminium, plastic and copper so I am now considering the virtues of using a method of tying with my choice(s) of material in a way I've not tried before.

No pattern or style of fly is being disregarded in this freakish progress but I see templedog methods as being more likely to produce what I'm after - the clouser is kind of fixed (doesn't pulse, or at least the ones I tie don't :!) and sunray types have the overall length but again not the 'presence' I'm after.

Could be that I'm on a kicking to nothing, but the spey plumes have got me scratching a fly tying itch good and proper :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #43 on: 15/01/2014 at 20:28 »
H,
I tied a box of huge singles in combinations of pink and purple with racoon Zonker strips wound on as hackles for a mate of mine who went to Alaska. They caught fish but they sure looked weird but you are right the pulsating action in the water looked pretty cool. However when we have our first cast this spring I will be chucking out huge posh Tosh variants which are just as loud but not quite as fluffy.

Bring them with you, you never know I might get converted.

Eddie. :z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #44 on: 15/01/2014 at 21:07 »
Bring them with you, you never know I might get converted.

I will Eddie :! I just hope Captain Kirk doesn't dislike my fiendish creations so much he bans me from fishing  :z4 :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com