Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Spey plume..... experimentation
« on: 02/01/2014 at 18:24 »
I suspect it's boredom..... but maybe it's a yearning for the start of the Salmon season. More probably it's just SAD Seasonal Affected Disorder....... but as this time of the year I have a hankering to tie BIG Salmon flies.

I've been thinking about the Frodin 'Octopussy' style flies and spey plumes and, well, you get the idea.
After a glass of something non-wine related (but suitably invigorating) I came up with this as a prototype partly of things to come but mostly to get a 'handle' on using spey plumes.

It's pretty rough, I've not tied for months and months, but I love those plumes :! Has anyone else done much with them on the forum :? I just love the way the fly appears to 'flow' using the plumes.

More later - maybe. Currently I am having thoughts about 3 inch copper tubes and zonker strips........

H :cool:

Mike Barrio

Re: Spey plume..... experimentation
« Reply #1 on: 02/01/2014 at 19:40 »
Looks interesting :z16

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 02/01/2014 at 19:45 »
Looks interesting :z16

I concur, is it marabou? or ostrich or something else?
The fly looks lovely, although i'm not so sure about the blue, but then what do i know :X1

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 02/01/2014 at 19:58 »
Nice fly but you need to drop blue thing mate  :z4

See how it swims before you knock up any more dude, it's expensive shit and the stuff may not do exactly what you intend or hope it might in the water.  I think the material needs either careful support or one of the domed washer things on the front to stop it just going dead in a flow, not particularly see through unless you strip half the feather before winding.  That said, I'm not really very practiced at that style of fly nor would I say I could tie them very well.

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 02/01/2014 at 20:10 »
The Spey plumes are from Hareline, essentially small high quality small ostrich feathers http://hareline.com/sp.html
I'm really liking Hareline products, as mine recedes theirs become more interesting to me......

I like the blue thing  :z7 But I appreciate it's not everyone's cup of earl grey.

The photo doesn't show the tying very well but the plumes are slightly supported from behind with Black UV straggle fritz, also the head has been sealed with superglue which I intentionally worked into the front plume to give some support but yes, a swim is needed to see how it looks as they aren't exactly cheap :z16
:cool:

Matt Henderson

« Reply #5 on: 02/01/2014 at 20:28 »
Very nice H. And please tell the grumpy old men that blue is the new jungle cock!

See I think that in high water if you have a reasonably heavy fly off a fast sinking line then something like the fly you tied would be nice and visible. I've got a few of the turbo cone things and they move really nicely in the water but don't add much weight.

Cheers Matt

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #6 on: 02/01/2014 at 22:19 »
as mine recedes theirs become more interesting to me......

:z4 :z4 :z4   :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 03/01/2014 at 00:11 »
Like it H, but maybe you should've used dyed blue Guinea Fowl at the heid????  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 03/01/2014 at 08:49 »
Like it H, but maybe you should've used dyed blue Guinea Fowl at the heid????  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Smirk  :z7

Allan Liddle

« Reply #9 on: 03/01/2014 at 09:33 »
Hee hee  :wink

Barry Robertson

« Reply #10 on: 03/01/2014 at 15:34 »
I am guessing you didn't like my comment??

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 03/01/2014 at 16:33 »

What comment was that  ???

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 03/01/2014 at 19:02 »

Hi Baz :z16

I can't see any signs of moderation, so I've no idea what's happened if you've lost a post, sorry.

Please post again!

Cheers
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #13 on: 04/01/2014 at 00:20 »
H,
regardless of the blue debate and whether it needs a bit more support for the hackles or not. If you are happy with it and fish it with confidence then ultimately the salmon will be the true judge of what makes a successful fly as always.

I can understand some of the comments but it is not up to us. Throw it in a river with some willing participants and see what happens.

Eddie. :z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 04/01/2014 at 11:19 »
Currently I am having thoughts about 3 inch copper tubes and zonker strips........
I have produced something which is currently sitting in my vice. It is fugly, bloody fugly. I love it. All orange and yellow and gold and dangerous looking  :z7
Throw it in a river with some willing participants and see what happens.

Aye, that's the rub Eddie :! I'm working on the idea of a few spring days before things get 'busy' in late May.
Hopefully I'll have the chance to chuck some of the ironmongery around where there are actually fish :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com