Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Allan Liddle

Back to Normal
« on: 14/12/2013 at 00:52 »
Ok enough of this Salmon Fly shite (just for a wee while) back to proper flees.
Been tying a few dries for a donation to the Moray Firth Trout Initiative submission to the Wild Trout Trust Auction before shoving them into a wee box.

Anyway thought you might like to see a few.....

Corriekiller (Partridge Dry Fly Supreme size 14)

Heatherfly Hopper (Partridge Patriot Ideal Dry size 12)

The deadly Dirty Duster (Partridge YK4 Grub Hook size 14)

'Hatch' of Dirty Duster (ditto with the hook btw)

The new improved Heather Beetle (get 'em ready for Spring  :wink)

Wouldn't be a proper dry selection with out my all time favourite River Trophy Hunter, the DHE (YK4 size 12)

There are others but i'm not giving all my secrets away  :wink 

Ok i will but not all at the same time.  :z4

Hamish Young

Re: Back to Normal
« Reply #1 on: 14/12/2013 at 09:21 »
Very nice too  :z16

H :cool:

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 14/12/2013 at 13:20 »
Inspiring Allan  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 14/12/2013 at 13:27 »
Great stuff :z16

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 14/12/2013 at 14:02 »
Thanks guys  :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 14/12/2013 at 16:43 »
Great flees and very professional photo's Allan  :z16

:z18

Jim

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 14/12/2013 at 19:21 »
Cheers Jim, it's all down to the camera really

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 16/12/2013 at 08:19 »
I am liking the DHE...very nice indeed.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 16/12/2013 at 20:36 »
Nice flies Allan

Starting to get the urge myself, been looking at materials, but still not bothered my arse to get to the vice :X1

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #9 on: 16/12/2013 at 21:54 »
Nice flies , i have made a start this trip on topping up my boxes!
Slowly getting there .... :z6

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 17/12/2013 at 13:59 »
Allan

I  notice you are using the YK4's did you get any CZF's to try? i'd like to see how the sizes work out for those.
I have some of the Flashpoint Czech nymph hooks and they are huge for the marked sizes, was a bit concerned that the CZF's might be the same story? Any ideas.

Sandy

Allan Liddle

« Reply #11 on: 17/12/2013 at 14:58 »
Yup CZF light are same size guage as CZF Sandy, so for DHE and DDuster's you're looking at 20 to 24's.  Awkward sizing but kinda fits the out the ordinary hook guage / shape once you get used to it.
Certainly a different profile to the YK4 more in tune with the Klinkhamer style hook, i know Bob Wyatt was more keen on the shorter curve of the YK4 (or B100) as he felt it helped the fly 'sit' correctly and the 'keel' cut in easier / better.  The longer sweep profile had / has a tendancy to fall flat on it's side if you don't get it just right, especially on wing profile / size, can be a bit of a hit or miss, if this makes sense?

I've been using the bigger CZN light hooks for detached daddies and mayflees (danica) and am going to tie up a series of dapping flies on them (that's Hamish paying attention now)
Love the arse in the water profile they produce and on using last year the daddies at least worked well (could've just been a good daddy year though  :z4)

Try tying snatchers on the CZ heavy hooks sizes 20-22, i've a few of these coming out and the more 'sweeping' profile looks fantastic, makes a good shrimp imitation as well as the usual buzzer approach.  Tie them in olive for the shrimps (GB floss hot head), Orkney troot love em.  Time for another SBS i feel  :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 17/12/2013 at 15:42 »

Certainly a different profile to the YK4 more in tune with the Klinkhamer style hook, i know Bob Wyatt was more keen on the shorter curve of the YK4 (or B100) as he felt it helped the fly 'sit' correctly and the 'keel' cut in easier / better.  The longer sweep profile had / has a tendancy to fall flat on it's side if you don't get it just right, especially on wing profile / size, can be a bit of a hit or miss, if this makes sense?

Plenty good sense, it bears out a  lot of what i've found this season, B100's have proven to be the best option so far, along with the Orvis 1639 curved hook (which actually has had the edge :wink) Think i'll just stick to squishing the barbs :z12

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #13 on: 17/12/2013 at 22:53 »
Intresting to see yer snatcher's  Alan  :wink

Allan Liddle

« Reply #14 on: 17/12/2013 at 23:27 »
 :z4 :z4Hope yer on aboot ma flees  :shock :shock :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com