Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Chad

How do I catch the big trout on the Don?
« on: 11/07/2007 at 21:42 »
Hello,

I am a new member to the forum and new to fly fishing this season.  I have been out to the Don a handful of times in the last couple of months, and I have had a fair deal of success.  I have caught lots of fish, but they have almost all been in the less than 1/2 lb category.  So, I am curious about how to increase my chances at getting a larger trout on the Don.  I have been mostly fishing wet flies or nymphs down and across, using spiders, Greenwells and GRHE's. 

Are there any tips or rules of thumb to follow?  Should the same techniques that get small fish also catch larger fish, but on a less frequent basis, or does it require different techniques?  Do other factors such as the time of day or depth of water being fished make a difference, or fishing fast water vs pools vs glides, etc.....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chad

Mike Barrio

Re: How do I catch the big trout on the Don?
« Reply #1 on: 12/07/2007 at 01:46 »
Hi Chad

Welcome to the forum  :cool:

Have you been "fishing the water" or "targetting rising fish" Chad?

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Chad

« Reply #2 on: 12/07/2007 at 20:53 »
Hello Mike,

I guess I have been mostly "fishing the water" as you called it.  When I am on the river I am not seeing many fish rising at all.  So, I am mostly targetting them under the surface with wets and some nymph patterns. 

Last weekend there was one fish that kept rising, and it appeared to be good size.  I tried wets down and across and dries up and across and many different patterns, but no luck!

I fish normally from about 9:30 AM until 5 PM, so maybe the good action with the big fish or good rises are taking place more around sunrise and sunset?

Thanks,

Chad

rattrala

« Reply #3 on: 14/07/2007 at 05:20 »
Chad

As you rightly say in your message, the best times for larger trout on the Don at this time of year is in the evening. Have had them on small dries (size 16-18) and by targetting them. But remember the Don is well fished and these trout didnt get big by grabbing at any fly thrown at them. Many times the larger fish are extremely selective what they go for and any hint of leader or un-natural drag of the fly and will leave well alone. The larger fish seem to enjoy the slower stretches where they have time to have a "good look" before deciding to go for it. I have watched a few that even during a good hatch of flies only come up to the surface once in every 5-10 minutes. Recently saw an angler catch a 6lb Brownie - he had been trying for it for 3 seperate nights. Also a good few Sea Trout in the river just now and they are also partial to the dry fly.

Tight lines

Lloyd

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com