Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Allan Liddle

Re: Kinermony Killer Intruder
« Reply #15 on: 09/12/2013 at 09:59 »
Ha ha no it's not Graham, i'm keen to try it on troots, but actually you're right first time, Kinermony Killer most certainly a salmon fly sorry for confusion, my mistake  :oops

Ben Dixon

« Reply #16 on: 09/12/2013 at 11:05 »
I hope you didn't think I was rubbishing the tying Alan.  Nice tie but mobility and look could be improved with a softer material at the front.  If you are going to get into the whole salmon thing and start tying with soft stuff rather than more traditional hair then get yourself some of the Eumer Finn Racoon body hair.  It's about the best sub for Templedog you will get, plenty of fine non-snotty underfur with just the right amount of guard hairs that are stiff enough to provide support but not so stiff that you really know they are there.  Only better hair I've seen recently would come from a Maine Coon or Alaskan Malamute but even Steve Cooper does not hold either in stock so chances of obtaining are slim  :z4
Mini Marabou or baby Ostrich is nice for soft hackle at the front of modern salmon dressings but very expensive.

On the trout thing, some of my better trout each season come to a Gold Cascade or Conns Sunray Shadow, these don't count as they were not the target species but tying up something similar and using it as a "trout fly" would be interesting.  Never quite got around to it and I'm sure you'd get the whole "poaching" thing levelled at you too in many places.

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #17 on: 09/12/2013 at 11:20 »
Never quite got around to it and I'm sure you'd get the whole "poaching" thing levelled at you too in many places.

I have done so because the very same fly has been quite successful with Trout :! The 'trout' version worked the single time I tried it out and honestly anyone who says it's not 'on' can f*ck off, fly fishing is an all-encompassing term. I like streamer fishing  :cool:
Give the fish what they want, not necessarily what you want to catch them on.  The thinking angler and fly tyer who is prepared to experiment and think out of the box (or more plausibly think differently to everyone else's fly box) is the future. I digress........ was that a rant :? :shock

Eumer Finn Racoon body hair is indeed interesting stuff which Ben put me onto at the end of last year. I still need to get my head around using it, fiddly fluffy shit.
I like the baby ostrich plumes and bought a couple of pacsk for some flies I tied for a family friend, I baulked at the price then and it's as bad now.
Hareline were offering them as 'Spey Plumes' I think  ??? and the kingfisher blue plumes were just lovely, would work nicely on something like a templedog version of the Kinermony Killer.

My tying vices will be coming out shortly, I have many many flies to tie before next year  :X1

H :cool:

Allan Liddle

« Reply #18 on: 09/12/2013 at 22:41 »
Not at all Ben, really do appreciate all the comments and feedback.  On reflection it seems a wee bit overkill and the 'taper' is a wee bit too steep, but first attempt and you don't learn if you don't push the envelope.

On you final point, i've been accused of poaching for years  :z4 :z4 :z4

Hamish time to lay off the caffine  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Just noticed we're into two pages, i'll have to post more pics of fecked up salmon flees with dodgy heids  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com