Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Allan Liddle

Kinermony Killer Intruder
« on: 06/12/2013 at 00:29 »
Ok following on from yesterday and my efforts with Jock Royan's excellent Kinermony Killer Flamethrower, i thought i'd try my hand at adapting this fly into an Intruder style pattern, but not wanting to do things the easy way i decided to try it out what's called 'old style' where hook is attached directly to leader via small loop with in turn is attached to shank via small hook tube.  You need to tie in a small leader loop at rear of shank so you can thread leader through to prevent twisting, before threading throgh the fly istelf and then the shank eye. 
If i'm honest i could have tied this the now more accepted way, but waiting on the required wire to come and though 'What the hell, bet i could get this to work.'

Anyway here it is, Kinermony Killer Intruder....

Nylon loop rear of 'modified' shank

How hook is attached to shank, obviously yo need to dress the fly first  :z4

Finished Fly

Fly in a box

Iain Goolager

Re: Kinermony Killer Intruder
« Reply #1 on: 06/12/2013 at 20:55 »
Sorry Ed
I'm not singling you out for special greetings but this, along with the other tying on the doubles are very smart.

Nice!

Ian, or is it Iain ( you decide  :z7)

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 07/12/2013 at 10:03 »
For me the blue guinea fowl (I assume that's what it is :?) doesn't work on the front of that fly, sorry Allan  :z10
Mind you... did you run out of materials big enough for that sort of fly :? :! Not your normal cup of tea :wink
The 'intruder' variant is an interesting idea though :z16

H :cool:

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 07/12/2013 at 12:14 »
Not bad for a trout fisher Allan  :z7

Very tidy fly but I'd agree re the Guinea Fowl, A turn of webby Schlappen would finish that off nicely, if you wanted the black effect from the GF, stick a turn of one side stripped black underneath the turn of blue.

Cheers

Ben

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 07/12/2013 at 13:23 »
Cheers guys, to be fair the guinea fowl sub was a last minute change from the original kingfisher blue webby cock (that dosen't sound right  :z4)  First attempt at that style of fly, won't make that mistake again.

Don't worry i'll be back to troot flees very soon  :wink  And leave those solver tourists to the 'Chuck and Chance' brigade  :z4 :z4

Seriously enjoyed the change and the challenge, good to push your boundaries and really appreciate all comments, you can't move forward without them  :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 07/12/2013 at 13:52 »
Allan,

I liked it  :z8

Iain

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 07/12/2013 at 17:21 »
Thanks Iain, can see what Hamish and Ben mean though, next time maybe a head finished in kingfisher marabou?

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #7 on: 07/12/2013 at 18:48 »
don't let their lack of taste discourage you...  :z4
 it's a lovely tie ! :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #8 on: 07/12/2013 at 19:23 »
Ha ha thanks Marc, no offence taken, all comments gratefully recieved, big H has the hump on just now, coffee supplies to North Kessock must be low, although if you think he's bad just now wait 'till those sleepless nights set in!  :z4

As for Mr D he's still huffin from the Rugby League final result last weekend.  :shock :z4 :z4

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 07/12/2013 at 19:50 »
Alan,
very well tied but I am with Ben on this one Schlappen would work better. Just a personal preference.

BTW,

Iain (goolager) apologies about the spelling mistake.

Late nights in Baku and copious amount's of red wine involved, please refrain from the baby Cham Kincorth retorts. :z7 

thursodog

« Reply #10 on: 08/12/2013 at 19:49 »
I love that fly sir.
Its got a vintage look that we don't often see apart from the guinea fowl which was often tied in its natural colour at the throat.
I rather like the blue to be honest.

All the best

Chris.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 08/12/2013 at 19:55 »
Aye I like Blue on the nose of a fly  :z4 :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim

Graeme Inglis

« Reply #12 on: 08/12/2013 at 22:02 »
I like it, but the proof of the pudding is, it doesn't matter a damn what we think about it, it's what the salmon think about it, do you think the salmon know the difference between guinea fowl and kingfisher or any other blue feather?
We have some experience of what the fish like but we have no proof of what they like .  At the risk of being controversial what we put on the end of the line is fashion or here say.  Go back 50 years or so and we were fishing monster flies compared to what we are fishing now and they were exquisite works of art compared with the flies of today.  How many times have you heard that 'a Silver Stoat(etc.) is the fly to use on this river'  Mainly because most people hear this and put a perfectly good Silver Stoat on.
Trout fishing is different, they have feeding patterns and if you follow them you will catch more fish but as ever the mystery of the salmon remains largely unsolved.  IMHO.

Graeme

Allan Liddle

« Reply #13 on: 08/12/2013 at 22:03 »
Aye I like Blue on the nose of a fly  :z4 :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim

No doubt  :z4  I'll have to tie an East Coast Green one now to make up for it and call it the TB after our new manager  :z14

Thanks Chris, i think i might have got away with it better (now i've been back and looked at the actual fly again) if i hadn't been so heavy on the blue and used a feather with longer fibres.  But that's for another day, back to troot flees tomorrow, i've a heap of SBS to complete for FF&FT  :shock

Cheers Graham, yup proof in pudding is indeed by using it.  As it was tied as an experiment and it being my first attempt there's no doubt i'll get better on the finish.  i'll be interested to see how trout react, and i know just the place to try it late spring  :wink

Graeme Inglis

« Reply #14 on: 08/12/2013 at 22:47 »
Woops!  Its a trout fly!   :X1
Sorry mate I thought the way it was tied it was ...well you know, I'll wonder off into a quiet corner now...   :X2

Graeme

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com