Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dutchfly

Never seen this style before
« on: 03/12/2013 at 20:35 »
Found this fly on the Italian FFMagazine. It looks very nice, me think.

http://www.ffmagazine.eu/?p=515

Jeroen

Rob Brownfield

Re: Never seen this style before
« Reply #1 on: 04/12/2013 at 07:49 »
That looks like my first attempt at a dry fly :)

I guess you could use a detached foam body too?

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 04/12/2013 at 09:00 »
I quite like that tying, I can see me trying that out   :z13
H :cool:

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 04/12/2013 at 18:01 »
Tied something similar about 20 years ago after seeing a hackle tied as normal with a wing sticking out over the eye in an issue of the flydressers mag. I added a body as per ollie edwards cut wing dun. Entered it into a comp and won a prize :) . Though I did fish it and caught a couple of trout I let it lie. Might give it a go next season  :z18

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 05/12/2013 at 00:55 »
That looks like my first attempt at a dry fly :)

I guess you could use a detached foam body too?

Not sure that would sit quite right?

Often thought this was how a few full hackled but no tailed early dries would often actually sit in the water kinda like an early sort of Dirty Duster, Klink, hook arse in the water

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 05/12/2013 at 14:51 »
Not sure that would sit quite right?
quite the contrary mon cher.   :z4

the fly in the link is quite ugly tied... but the concept although not unique is brilliant. replacing the body/tail with floating transparent synthetic with a burned-together butt should make this a sure hitter.
marc

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 05/12/2013 at 19:59 »
But how would it sit in the water with a boyant material at one end for a tail, and hackle / cdc head at the other if you're trying to get the hook hanging vertical effect?  But if you tied floating body / tail directly below hackle (detatched as per orig pic) with hook trailing below, that might work?????? :z8

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #7 on: 05/12/2013 at 22:49 »
hiya,
sorry for the confusion, i meant simply exchange the deer hair for something else while keeping the same profile of the fly.  :wink

there's a good number of other french flies (Devaux was french)(and a much neater tier...  :z4) that have a similar concept. i'll try to find some images to share here.

tbo, the hook's position is more gimmick than of any actual use apart from serving as a keel, something just about every hook in the point-down position does anyway.
umbrella hooks never made the scene and i suspect its because of poor hook-up rates. on less aggressive takes (slurps), what happens often is the hook bend seems to be pushed away (bend towards the angler with the hook point in the wrong direction) by the fish's lips when it takes. it's a style and it's called 'nip & release'  :z4
marc

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com