Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Whats bugging about flytying
« on: 02/12/2013 at 11:41 »
Well, with the promise of some Grayling fishing, I went ahead and tied some flies. Just a few mind. Took me 2 weeks of a couple of hours in the evening. The gaps in the boxes are now filled with my super douper secret grayling fly that only Mr Cameron knows about :)

And this was the result of that secret fly ;)

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Whats bugging about flytying
« Reply #1 on: 02/12/2013 at 11:57 »
Rob,
good effort, now I have some patterns to copy so that when I get home I too can have a go with Iain for the lady of the stream.

Eddie  :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 02/12/2013 at 12:30 »
Eddie, I took out the successful ones ;)

Had a few plucks and both my fish on a size 16 Jig head nymph.

A 2.8mm black nickel tungstan bead
Red tag, glowbtite floss
Body of natural grey squirrel with a tiny bit of a grey synthitic dubbing through it to make it less spikey and more grey (Hares ear would also work I am sure)
Red fine wire ribbing and thats about it.

Also have some with orange or pink tails and orange or pink bodies.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 02/12/2013 at 14:00 »
Rob,
thanks for that. I will make a few bugs before I come home.

Eddie. :z18 :z18

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 02/12/2013 at 20:20 »
Put rubber micro legs on it Rob  :wink

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 03/12/2013 at 07:54 »
Put rubber micro legs on it Rob  :wink
I have a few Rhycothingymajigs or whatever they are called with the micro legs, but I have run out! Watched a vid of Vavie McPhail tying legs using pheasnt tail so may have to try that instead.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 03/12/2013 at 17:13 »
The bloody stuff will break rob unless you use some sort of flexible cement on them. PT is the devils spawn and will drive you to madness :cry :X2 :X2 :z4 :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 03/12/2013 at 17:47 »
I think OE uses the stem end of PT fibres with the hook but that forms the shape of the leg coming from the white bit on the end of the fibre where it was attached to the stem.  Kept short enough, this is quite strong.

If using synthetic stuff then go for silicone, rubber will perish in time which I find extremely irritating!

Ben

Peter McCallum

« Reply #8 on: 03/12/2013 at 18:32 »
I think OE uses the stem end of PT fibres with the hook but that forms the shape of the leg coming from the white bit on the end of the fibre where it was attached to the stem.  Kept short enough, this is quite strong.

If using synthetic stuff then go for silicone, rubber will perish in time which I find extremely irritating!

Ben

Ollie uses Golden Pheasant Pheasant tail which isn't as brittle as normal PT

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 03/12/2013 at 21:32 »
Ollie uses Golden Pheasant Pheasant tail which isn't as brittle as normal PT

Is there a lot of difference Pete?  I didn't know there was much difference between the two material.  I tied some or these years ago and they have been fished a good few times and legs are intact, used normal PT but the legs were very short.  If I could be bothered I'd maybe tie up some using GP but, I'm really not at all convinced that flies (as nice as they look) need to be OE complicated and especially ones that are in danger of being left on the bottom!

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 04/12/2013 at 07:48 »
I'm really not at all convinced that flies (as nice as they look) need to be OE complicated and especially ones that are in danger of being left on the bottom!

It's like everything Ben, you did not need to add the sparkly blue thread to your whippings on that rod of yours, but you did :)

The water I was fishing last weekend, the fish would have only seen the fly for a fraction of a second so I am sure as long as it had the basic colour and shape, it would have caught...the fact I brushed it to make it spikey probably was a waste of effort...but it gave me the confidence.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 04/12/2013 at 09:03 »
It's like everything Ben, you did not need to add the sparkly blue thread to your whippings on that rod of yours, but you did :)

Yeah, but the chances of me leaving several of those rods attached to the bottom during a days fishing is fairly slim, Rob  :z4

My flies are all very much suggestive rather than imitative with few exceptions, almost always for subsurface patterns.  Not trying to take away from your nice box of flies here, I've just not the patience to tie up stuff like that any more!

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 04/12/2013 at 09:27 »
  Not trying to take away from your nice box of flies here, I've just not the patience to tie up stuff like that any more!

Totally agree with you! If I have time, I tie things that look a bit more "insect like", if in a rush, I just lash things to a hook and concentrate on profile/colour.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com