Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

What's your vice?
« on: 25/11/2013 at 23:42 »
How's about this one from Mauro Caracalli in Italy ....... pretty awesome :z16

Rob Brownfield

Re: What's your vice?
« Reply #1 on: 26/11/2013 at 07:50 »
Very nice indeed. I am sticking with my Apex Anvil although I fancy the rotary version. Its lasted 7 years which is not bad for something that routinely holds hooks from 4/0 down to 18.

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #2 on: 26/11/2013 at 08:55 »
hmm...that certainly looks like a beauty mike. 

i've been using a cheapo vice for the last 4-5 years. I have to say i've not really felt like i needed any thing else! the jaws have finally started to show a little wear though and don't grip smaller hooks quite as well. I suppose i'll be looking for an apex or something similar soonish. I will miss tying on a 20 quid vice though, when others spend hundreds and never use them properly!

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #3 on: 26/11/2013 at 09:28 »
that thing might be nice to start a fire....  :z4

got this a month or so ago. seriously excellent  :z16
http://www.flytyingboutique.com/product.cfm?product=1197#.UpRpcJFhyRo

marc

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 26/11/2013 at 10:42 »
hmm...that certainly looks like a beauty mike. 

i've been using a cheapo vice for the last 4-5 years. I have to say i've not really felt like i needed any thing else! the jaws have finally started to show a little wear though and don't grip smaller hooks quite as well. I suppose i'll be looking for an apex or something similar soonish. I will miss tying on a 20 quid vice though, when others spend hundreds and never use them properly!

Like Rob,
I have been using an Apex for many years now and earlier this year I managed to break it. Rob reminded ne that it comes with a lifetime warranty and sure enough it was replaced immediately. Great service for a vice which although it is not 20 quid it is also not too expensive. I tie everything from tiny dries to salt water patters on mine and apart from breaking, probably operator error it has never let me down.

Eddie. :z18

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 27/11/2013 at 16:27 »
 I have a regent this does every thing I need I have had it about 10yrs with no problems, I would certainly buy another, easgach 1

Djordje Andjelkovic

« Reply #6 on: 27/11/2013 at 17:39 »
Last three years just NOR-VISE. Full with all four models of jaws. I never use better jaws - "Large Straight Jaws" for big hooks, rely BIG hooks.

And unique SEMI AUTOMATIC (or automatic) BOBBIN is the top FT products!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 27/11/2013 at 17:57 »
How's about this one from Mauro Caracalli in Italy ....... pretty awesome :z16

So that's how "Kevin Muir" translates in Italian is it?  I'd always wondered  :z4

Veniard #4 spring lever or the Scottie vice of similar design.  Either is fine, they hold a good range of sizes and grip / release them instantly.

Cheers

Ben

James Abel

« Reply #8 on: 27/11/2013 at 19:57 »
I got a Dyna-king Supreme last trip home a nice xmas pressie for me I love I love it. It has helped me tie better but i'm still rubbish

Euan Innes

« Reply #9 on: 28/11/2013 at 21:38 »
The vice in the first post is mingin'! I don't like that at all. Beautifully made I'm sure but slap me with a brookie, it is fugly.

I use a Veniard pedestal vice that I bought in 1995 from Murray's tickle and bums in Banchory, now a different shop entirely.
The base is very heavy and the jaws are very hard. I think 18 years of hard service is testament enough for it's reliability. No fancy adjustable head, wind up handles on the back or other fancy bits, just a vice with well made brass bits and good old steel.
Me likee old skool.  :z4

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 28/11/2013 at 22:55 »
Nothing wrong with Old School :z4

Cheers
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #11 on: 29/11/2013 at 06:28 »
The vice in the first post is mingin'! I don't like that at all. Beautifully made I'm sure but slap me with a brookie, it is fugly.

I use a Veniard pedestal vice that I bought in 1995 from Murray's tickle and bums in Banchory, now a different shop entirely.
The base is very heavy and the jaws are very hard. I think 18 years of hard service is testament enough for it's reliability. No fancy adjustable head, wind up handles on the back or other fancy bits, just a vice with well made brass bits and good old steel.
Me likee old skool.  :z4

Euan,
I have one of those in the back of my landie which is older than yours and although it is a bit beat up it is still functional.

Eddie. :z18

Euan Innes

« Reply #12 on: 29/11/2013 at 07:22 »
Euan,
I have one of those in the back of my landie which is older than yours and although it is a bit beat up it is still functional.

Eddie. cheers

They are workhorses Eddie. I can't imagine how many flies I've tied on mine, of all sizes, #0/2 to #28!

Allan Liddle

« Reply #13 on: 05/12/2013 at 00:32 »
Happy with my early Christmas prezzie.  Regency Regal, stainless jaws, bronze travel base, very nice.  :z16

Mikael Högberg

« Reply #14 on: 16/11/2015 at 11:33 »
Hi!
I use Regal vice  :z14

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com