Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jonathan Kerr

parkhill fishery..
« on: 22/11/2013 at 08:09 »
Has anyone been here recently? Or is it frozen with this current cold snap?

I've not been to a still water since visiting a few hill lochs in July and i'm keen to wet a line somewhere fairly soon.

cheers,
Jonathan.

Jonathan Kerr

Re: parkhill fishery..
« Reply #1 on: 25/11/2013 at 08:17 »
hmm...

i can only presume

1. its fishing really well and everyone is tight lipped
2. no one cares as they dont enjoy fishing there anyway!

Im thinking the second! I know many of us are river fisherman too but i honestly would have expected this place to be much busier, being free with the association permit and all that. perhaps I've just missed folk when i've made one of my very few visits there over the last couple years :z8

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 25/11/2013 at 11:08 »
Thats a strange water, I have never felt at ease there, as if the water is telling me something. :z8

Even in the peak of summer I walked down there one day (without a rod) and the place just seemed dead. I can't explain it at all, but I just did not feel it was worth fishing.

I have caught from there, and they were nice fish, but I do not enjoy fishing there, and I really do not know why. Others I have spoken to have said the same.

Maybe its the tangle of wood on the far bank, or the noise from the airport/road, or the cold wind that seems to grip the place. Who knows..lol

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 25/11/2013 at 11:38 »
I know many of us are river fisherman too but i honestly would have expected this place to be much busier, being free with the association permit and all that. perhaps I've just missed folk when i've made one of my very few visits there over the last couple years :z8

I last fished it in July.  It was when the tides didn't suit fishing for silver tourists on lower river.  I arranged a boat on t'interweb and had a great evening casting rising fish.  There were lots of spirited blue trout at the car park end if you know what I mean.  At best three or four anglers.  I haven't fished it since and to be honest with todays conditions i.e. cold I would rather do something else! But that doesn't mean I won't wet a line over the winter. 

Only thing that would be nice is if they could change the flight path into the airport!

Chers

Matt

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 25/11/2013 at 12:57 »
Only thing that would be nice is if they could change the flight path into the airport!

get Greenpeace on the case, they seem to be doing well in the arctic with the Russians  :X2

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #5 on: 26/11/2013 at 08:16 »
Glad its not just me then rob, as i also think the place has a funny feel to it.

My biggest problem with it is i love to walk around a fishery, platforms just don't do it for me.

I think i'll take a visit soon and see if i can kindle some kind of liking for the place! Its much closer than some of the other fisheries for me and i'm usually trying to juggle my time so that makes it quite convenient.

J

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 26/11/2013 at 08:52 »
Agreed the platforms aren't ideal which is why I would encourage people to organise a boat.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #7 on: 26/11/2013 at 09:25 »
Not a huge fan of platforms either, but there are still good fish to be spotted. The boat can be great for getting in around the island and the far banks.

this was mid-november 2012

and so was this 2nd fish, taken with a claret hopper on a mild november day

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com