Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

rough red spinner
« on: 14/11/2013 at 08:27 »
been meaning to post this for a while.

summer nights, spinner fall on the river. sipping trout. but no light left. After a couple of fiddly, frustrating nights keeping very sparse CDC patterns afloat, I wondered about using the more robust deer hair for wings. Having some fine light coloured DH to use, I came up with this:

It's not going to win any awards for finesse or beauty, but it did its job. This one in the pic has been chewed and used.
This one is a hefty size 16; fatter &  bigger than the actual spinners on the water of course but still worked.

Hook is a Grip 11013 BL #16
Body of red thread.
Tail (optional?) - a couple of strands of something. I used 2-3 longer deer hairs.
Wing of coastal deer hair.

Tie in the thread, tie in the tails, wrap down and back up. The tie in a bunch of the wing hair on top of shank, parallel to it, tips facing forwards. Roughly divide the wing in two, and use figure of 8 wraps to split the wings. It's fiddly and messy.

Don't bother to stack the hair before tying in - uneven tips gives a nice curved outer wing.
I must practice this over the winter to get it neater, tidier, sparser.

cheers
iain

Rob Brownfield

Re: rough red spinner
« Reply #1 on: 14/11/2013 at 10:28 »
I am loving your "recipe"...a bit of this, a bit of that :) None of this "3 strands of Coq de leon taken from a bird who has only been fed sultanas and cranberries" and all the crap you get from some tiers.

Just because a fly does not follow an exact pattern does not mean it wont work. I used to tie an Iron Blue Dun dry with blue and red tinsel. Worked a dream :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 14/11/2013 at 17:43 »
I can see that working well Iain :z16

Iain Cameron

« Reply #3 on: 14/11/2013 at 18:37 »
it shoulda read tips facing forward. heck, it might work the other way too. LIke most flies, if its more or less in the right place at the right time, it'll do!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com