Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

flyloon

Best flies you would choose
« on: 05/11/2013 at 18:01 »
Hi all I had a interested trout fishing today as I am still quite new to fly fishing I don't own a lot of flies and and I use a old tobacco tin with foam and about 12 flies and I have done quite well with them I notice a lot of guys have loads of flies with them for all situations I know at times trout will take any flies you offer them then the next time the will be very selective if you could only take 5 flies what would be on your hit list of your best fives flies and one you think is your never fail if you have one

Derek Roxborough

Re: Best flies you would choose
« Reply #1 on: 27/11/2013 at 16:38 »
 If I told you I would have to Kill you,  :X2  easgach 1

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 27/11/2013 at 17:48 »
Flyloon,

what sort of fishing are you doing? mostly Stillwater stocked or wild brownies or rivers?

I am guessing stockies if you are fishing just now. This would have a huge bearing on the patterns that would be suggested. you may have opened up a great debate here as this is a very personal thing and there are many many patterns that work for a variety of people. Perhaps we would need to break this down into location and species and weather conditions. Sorry if this complicates things but his may be the reason that some of the people you mention carry so many different patterns.

Eddie  :z18

jeb123456789

Re: Re: Best flies you would choose
« Reply #3 on: 29/11/2013 at 08:00 »
Always have a small black buzzer on the line... Will serve you right...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Soldierpmr

« Reply #4 on: 08/12/2013 at 22:03 »
Wilds browns in lakes.
bibio
Soldier palmer
Black gnat (wet fly)
Daddy longlegs
Kate mclaren

Rianbow still waters
Olive damsel
Bloodworm with marabou tail
Teal fry patern self tied
Glass minnow
Ace of spades.

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 08/12/2013 at 22:47 »
If I told you I would have to Kill you,    easgach 1

What he said - totally classified, compartmentalised, and on a need to know basis. :z13

Seriously though, my five wouldn't be your five, or anyone elses five, so think about these....

Wild waters for Broons - bumbles, hedgehogs, daddies, trad wets

Rainbows - cats, buzzers, bobs bits / shipman style dries, damsels

Rivers - klinks, spiders, dirty dusters, f-flies, hares ear floating or sinking

Start with your own variations of that lot and you are on The Path to Enlightenment.

:z1

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 09/12/2013 at 19:38 »
Not serious about the death thing  :wink as Sounmixer said one mans flees are anothers poison, I like bumbles Invictas, Blae and black, Kate Mclaren,black pennel etc.these suit me but would they suit anyone else? :z5 easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com