Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Patrick Mcguigan

New 14'er
« on: 04/12/2013 at 15:31 »
Thinking of getting a new 14'er for the coming season.  I intend to use it with short head floating speylines, all densities of shooting heads, and occasional skagit use.  I suppose it is a good all rounder that I'm looking for.

I usually like a rod that has some backbone and is not too soft, so anyone got a good recommendation for starters ?

Anyone managed to get a cast of the new Sage Method double hander and can give feedback on it's action, as for some reason I seem to be drawn to it ?

Ben Dixon

Re: New 14'er
« Reply #1 on: 04/12/2013 at 17:50 »
Not cast one yet but the 14 & 15' methods were described as cannons and suited to short heads.

In that length the DTX shooting head rod is very hard to beat for the sort of lines you are talking about.

Cheers

Ben

Patrick Mcguigan

« Reply #2 on: 04/12/2013 at 20:55 »
Not cast one yet but the 14 & 15' methods were described as cannons and suited to short heads.

In that length the DTX shooting head rod is very hard to beat for the sort of lines you are talking about.

Cheers

Ben

Thanks Ben,

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear about the Methods !  A cannon would be great, especially given how little they weigh too.  My appetite has been whetted further, anyone any other comments on them ?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 04/12/2013 at 22:20 »
 My personal preference for Skagits and fast sinking Scandi heads is something that gives a little lower down the blank too, not soft but something that will bend when required, that quality is what makes a rod an all rounder, IMO.  Given that the Methods are replacements for TCR / TCX I suspect that they will follow a similar design, stiff in the lower 2/3 & soft in the top 1/3.  I'd try to get a throw with one with fishing gear (rather than just a floating AFS) against a DTX or other rod(s) before dropping the cash, same goes with any rod though :wink

Cheers

Ben

Patrick Mcguigan

« Reply #4 on: 04/03/2014 at 18:10 »
Any updates to experiences with the Method double handers ?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com