Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Airflo G-Tec 9.5 ft #6-7
« on: 03/11/2013 at 18:34 »
Hi folks,

A customer fishes with this Airflo rod, he is finding that it is not very good for Roll and Spey casting single handed and is asking what type of rod would be better for these casts?

I have cast one before and I don't remember it having any problems with roll casting, but that was a while ago. Does anybody use one, or have any experience with them?

This type of question is always difficult to answer without seeing the person asking the question casting the rod.

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Eddie

Re: Airflo G-Tec 9.5 ft #6-7
« Reply #1 on: 03/11/2013 at 18:46 »
Hi folks,

A customer fishes with this Airflo rod, he is finding that it is not very good for Roll and Spey casting single handed and is asking what type of rod would be better for these casts?

I have cast one before and I don't remember it having any problems with roll casting, but that was a while ago. Does anybody use one, or have any experience with them?

This type of question is always difficult to answer without seeing the person asking the question casting the rod.

Best wishes
Mike

Mike

The G-Tec is a Grey's rod not Airflo

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 03/11/2013 at 18:59 »
Well spotted Jim .... glad somebody's awake :z4

OK, so I've cast a G-Tec, I do remember that ..... and the customer doesn't know which brand his rod is :roll Has anybody got any experience with the G-Tec, I haven't got any Greys of Airflo rods in my cupboard.

Does the rod even matter, do any modern rods not roll cast well? Can't think of any :z3

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 03/11/2013 at 19:05 »
Mike

I remember Magnus brought a 9ft 5# G-Tec when we had the casting day at Haddo House a couple of years ago. I remember it being a really nice rod. Don't think we did any roll casting though.

:z18

Jim

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #4 on: 03/11/2013 at 19:19 »
I use a 9' #5 G tec for most of my trout fishing. It's quite a fast action rod with a reel seat I hate but for some reason I like it. I use it on rivers with a WF5 444 or one of your mallard lines. Never had any problems roll casting it but I am not trying to achieve any distance with a roll cast.

You can have a loan of it if you want? I won't be using it till march now.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com