Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Yes chaps, you read it right, fishing flies will soon become illegal!!!

It all stems from a new law brought in to protect wild animals. Anything made of animal fur or feathers (in the last 13 years) will have to be registered with the Scottish Executive, with a penalty of £5000 if you dont! (You can knock someone over and kill them and not get as big a fine!!)

The items on the list that I can see that will directly affect us are Seals, Moles, and just about every feather used in traditional salmon flies!

I did a bit of investigation...I have around 20 bags of seals fur at home..I have to register EVERY one...but wait..I also have to register EVERY FLY I make using this material!!!

Bloody stupid if you ask me!!

Cal

Quick, flush ya flies down the bog, its the Police!!
« Reply #1 on: 26/06/2007 at 13:18 »
Well thats me back to upstream worming!!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 27/06/2007 at 08:10 »
:shock:

I heard something about this, but thought i was being wound up.
It will be interesting to see what the actually policy states.

Any details from those in the know- Magnus?

Sandy

Malcolm Copland

« Reply #3 on: 27/06/2007 at 09:36 »
George Orwell was spot on, just a bit premature !.

wildfisher

« Reply #4 on: 27/06/2007 at 10:13 »
More to do with tabloid anti-EU propaganda than reality. It is only animals on the European protected animal list. See below for the list.

http://www.snh.org.uk/publications/on-line/wildlife/law/epslist.asp

I hear Christmas is to be banned too!   :grin:

Same rules come into effect in England from August

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 28/06/2007 at 08:44 »
Woldfisher,
sorry, don't agree :) It is not based on the Scottish list but a European list. Many more animals are on the list including Badgers, Moles, Seals

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6234290.stm

Irvine Ross

« Reply #6 on: 28/06/2007 at 19:06 »
Rob

Somebody's pulling your plonker!

Moles are not a protected species, farmers kill them every day without a licence. Seals are not an EU protected species otherwise fish farmers would not be able to get a licence to shoot them. Wildfisher's list is the one that matters.

Keep your flies and your cool dude.

irvine

Paul Rankine

Re: Quick, flush ya flies down the bog, its the Police!!
« Reply #8 on: 29/06/2007 at 14:26 »
Rob,
        I think you will find that Fred and Irvine are correct.
Paul.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #9 on: 29/06/2007 at 14:38 »
Rob

Do any of these press articles give a reference to the alleged list? And why not? Because journalists can't understand the scientific names.

Here is the actual wording of the regulation taken from the Scottish Exec. web site (EPS means european protected species which are the ones on Fred's link)

Like I said, hang on to your flies. Unless of course you are peeing yourself laughing.

Irvine

In summary, it is now an offence in Scotland to:
Possess or control or transport any Annex N(a) specimen from 1 May 2007. There is
a defence where the specimen was lawfully taken from an EC Member State before the date
of implementation of the Habitats Directive, or was lawfully taken outwith the EC. That
defence is not available where the specimen is an EPS and is in possession or control or
transported for the purposes of sale or exchange.

It is an offence to sell or exchange, or offer for sale or exchange, any Annex IV specimen
from 15 February 2007 onwards. There is a defence where the specimen was lawfully taken
from an EC Member State before the date of implementation of the Habitats Directive, or was
lawfully taken outwith the EC. That defence is not available where the specimen is an EPS.
NOTE - Specimens killed bv accident or natural causes.
Prior to the 2007 Regulations coming into force, it was lawful to keep, transport, sell or
exchange etc. dead specimens of EPS where it could be shown that the animal had died from
natural causes or by accident. This is now no longer the case.

Licences
Licences may be granted, by the Scottish Executive or SNH (see pages 13 and 14), for the
continuing possession of EPS animals, or parts or derivatives thereof. The Executive and
SNH will only consider the granting of licences where it can be shown that, at the time of
taking a specimen, or part, from the wild, the act of taking the specimen would not have been
an offence in the country or territory in which it was taken.

Specimens taken between 10 June 1994 (or relevant date in other EC country) and 1
May 2007

For such specimens owners of EPS should apply to the Executive or SNH (depending on the
purpose) at the addresses below. Applicants should give details of what specimens they wish
to have a licence for and how and when they acquired the specimen. Any supporting
evidence would be useful. Please submit one application per person, rather than one
application per specimen. Please note that documentation will not be returned, and you are
advised to photocopy documentation or supply photocopies
The coming into force date of that part of the amendments prohibiting the keeping of EPS
specimens has been postponed until the 1 May.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 02/07/2007 at 08:16 »
Ah some sense.

Cheers Fred, Irvine and Paul :-*
Kind of what i was expecting, but these days you can never be sure. ::)

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 02/07/2007 at 10:05 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com