Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Reel Seats
« on: 06/10/2013 at 19:20 »
Looking for a reel seat to fit to a 590 & 696 Method......

590 will have a fighting butt but can not be a screw in job as that would take it over 9' thus making it non tape measure legal!  I quite like the look of the Pac Bay AR5-B fittings but their current Rosewood inserts look rank, also would like a shiny finish to the hardware if possible, AR5 is matt.  Does anyone know if any of the Struble inserts will fit the AR5 fittings as I could live with matt fittings if the insert was decent?  Or, can anyone suggest a lightweight black Aluminium seat that has decent glossy wood inserts available for it and comes unassembled?  Ideally looking for a dark / red spacer.

Cheers

Ben

Derek Roxborough

Re: Reel Seats
« Reply #1 on: 06/10/2013 at 20:40 »
 Hi Ben I have made my own inserts with a black alu seat I cut the alu seat and face the ends and make an isert from various woods, the last one I made was burr elm, I could may be help you , easgach 1

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 06/10/2013 at 21:41 »
Looking for a reel seat to fit to a 590 & 696 Method......

590 will have a fighting butt but can not be a screw in job as that would take it over 9' thus making it non tape measure legal!  I quite like the look of the Pac Bay AR5-B fittings but their current Rosewood inserts look rank, also would like a shiny finish to the hardware if possible, AR5 is matt.  Does anyone know if any of the Struble inserts will fit the AR5 fittings as I could live with matt fittings if the insert was decent?  Or, can anyone suggest a lightweight black Aluminium seat that has decent glossy wood inserts available for it and comes unassembled?  Ideally looking for a dark / red spacer.

Cheers

Ben

Here Mr D you know two guys who could make wood spacers for you, you only need to ask :wink

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 06/10/2013 at 22:40 »
Hi Ben I have made my own inserts with a black alu seat I cut the alu seat and face the ends and make an isert from various woods, the last one I made was burr elm, I could may be help you , easgach 1

Many thanks, did you seal the cut end of the Al?  I'd thought about this but was worried about corrosion. 

Ben

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 06/10/2013 at 23:04 »
Here Mr D you know two guys who could make wood spacers for you, you only need to ask :wink

Thanks Pete, I think Muir is on the case.  He's away having a look behind the couch just now to see if he has anything suitable in stock, if not I think we are going to try to source either stabilised Red Mallee, Redwood Lace or something else similar in tone.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 07/10/2013 at 07:35 »
Are you wanting light or heavy in weight??

On the insert front, I believe Struble and REC "stabilise" their wood before turning to shape. I understand this is a form of drying so that it does not shrink or swell once in situe.

On the issue of REC, they have some very very nice inserts indeed. Take ya pick...4 pages of them

http://reelseats.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=32&zenid=c7bc96db1dcdbf21a4701cce180c1093

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 07/10/2013 at 09:48 »
Are you wanting light or heavy in weight??

On the insert front, I believe Struble and REC "stabilise" their wood before turning to shape. I understand this is a form of drying so that it does not shrink or swell once in situe.

On the issue of REC, they have some very very nice inserts indeed. Take ya pick...4 pages of them

http://reelseats.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=32&zenid=c7bc96db1dcdbf21a4701cce180c1093

They should all be as light as possible without looking pants Rob.  I'd not looked at REC's spacers as their hardware, even their Al stuff is very expensive compared with American Tackle or Batson or even Struble.  Their spacers are nice and quite cheap but the same as every other about, I think after the conversation last night, Mr Muir would be very disappointed if I went and bought spacers  :wink
Apparently, to stabilise the wood it is properly dried and it has an acrylic resin drawn through it under vacuum to fill any voids.  This prevents swelling, shrinking and cracking over time.

Something like this would look nice, Redwood Lace Burl would look nice.

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 07/10/2013 at 11:27 »
If you want light but natural, what about cork?

Or how about a nice "marbled" seat?  I know you like bling ;)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 07/10/2013 at 11:31 »
Actually, just throw on a Fuji reel plate...sorted :)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 07/10/2013 at 11:45 »
If you want light but natural, what about cork?

Or how about a nice "marbled" seat?  I know you like bling ;)

Nice Rob  :roll

If I was going to go Fuji for seats I'd save a few quid and just use elastic bands or cable ties.

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 07/10/2013 at 12:57 »
Thats what I have on my Western 2 10 footer ;)

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #11 on: 07/10/2013 at 19:35 »
cant compete with those burrs , a face to face fit between  the wood and the alu and epoxy resin ensures no corrosion, easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com