Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

11' rods
« on: 30/09/2013 at 09:31 »
Back in the  mists of time I used to use 11' rods, especially in a #5, which was the lightest line size you could get without it being made of wet spaghetti, and just love them. Then my rods got shorter and then went back up to my current 10 footer.

I have noticed an increase in 11-footers popping up from several manufacturers like Greys and Wychwood, in light line sizes.
They both do 11-footers in #3 and #4 and the way my fishing worked out this year, I really fancy one for next year. So has anyone handled / owned / cast either make?
The Greys comes with a handle extention which I'm not keen on so the Wychwood 11' #4 is looking like the favorite so far.

I don't want this post to turn into a "what do you want one of those for?" type deals.  :z4 I know that they are really short range rods but that is EXACTLY what I want one for - short range dries and dibbling bob flies from a boat or tube or walking the bank of a wee Highland loch. Heck the 10' #4 Orvis that I use now hardly ever sees more than 20yds out the tip ring and last week at Park, for the last hour, I only had the head out and just used that.

So anyone used one? Does anyone know of any other 11' #4 rods that I have missed?
Over to you guys  :cool:

:z1

Euan Innes

Re: 11' rods
« Reply #1 on: 30/09/2013 at 13:14 »
Just found the Vision Mag 11 footer at Glasgow Angling Centre.
Any one tried that?

Allan Liddle

« Reply #2 on: 30/09/2013 at 17:20 »
Not yet but did have a wee shot of a #4 11 Streamflex at the GAC open weekend, and thought Yup could use that on the tube (and for bugs n French). 
Graham (my fishin buddy some of the guys on here have met) has just bought one of these rods and has christened it on Lochindorb (twice now, would've been three times but he drove up there Sat only to discover he'd left his waders at home  :z4  Told him he should've just partaken in a spot of 'wet tubing'  :z4 :z4)
He loves it but also admits it's really good for the short line bob fly type work, but a big lever to throw if you fancy a shot of the dries.

For me I wish I hadn't liked the Helios as much on the Haddo demo day  :wink :wink :z4

Stuart Smith

« Reply #3 on: 01/10/2013 at 18:00 »
did you get a helios allan?

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 01/10/2013 at 18:23 »
I really fancy one for next year.
FFS  :X1
I don't want this post to turn into a "what do you want one of those for?" type deals.  :z4
Ahhhhh ..... sorry m8...... wtf do you want one of them for  :? :!

There are advantages, agreed, with an 11' rod and bearing in mind your Muir-esque predilection for catching 'bait' trout I can see why you'd be tempted.... BUT.... would you not be better considering  a 9'6" #6 or #7 bearing in mind next years fishing plans ??? maybe a 10' #7 or #8 :?
Personally, I think that would suit your armoury better than a light-line 11' rod for 2014 and beyond.

Unless you bought both, and maybe a nice 14' Perflex perhaps  :wink

:wink

Iain Cameron

« Reply #5 on: 01/10/2013 at 19:11 »
So anyone used one? Does anyone know of any other 11' #4 rods that I have missed?

have you found any Shakespeare rods at £40??? :-)

Euan Innes

« Reply #6 on: 01/10/2013 at 20:18 »
Thanks chaps (mostly)
Hamish,
Oh there will be a #6 or #7 as well, but probably no Perflex  :z7

Iain,
Nothing from Shakespeare this month  :wink

I have something else in mind too but I'm keeping that quiet for fear of FFS speeches.  :z4
The 11 footer is just a curiosity at the moment, because I "used" to have one and it was ace. As for "bait", I do love a wild broonie, it's just my thing, dude.
Wee fish in wild places, with the occasional big 'un thrown in for good measure.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 04/10/2013 at 08:07 »
Many moons ago (about 25 years worth of moons) I used to fish Leven on a regular basis with the Pectan Angling Club. For that I had a Shakespeare Sigma 11' 5/6 rod. Very soft but great fun to fish with.

I still have a Daiwa Osprey 11' 3" 7-9 "Sea trout" rod that was also a favourite of mine. That would be classes as a switch rod these days...if I could find the extension butt! I bought that rod for fishing the mouth of the Don and with a WF8 line, it was a joy, if not a little unwieldy, to fish.

Euan Innes

« Reply #8 on: 04/10/2013 at 09:46 »
It was an 11' Clan #5 Rob, a fecking gem of a rod, one which I truly regret selling (I can be such a dick at times)
I also had a Bob Church Dave Shipman Drifter which was like a poker but was also good fun. Might see if the Bay of E can magic one of them up for not much coin.  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 04/10/2013 at 12:51 »
Weren't Clan built on B&W blanks?

Harrison Rods do several 11 footers, but the lightest is a 6 weight in the UK range. They do several interesting rods for Sweden and in might be worth calling them to see what they are working on.

Euan Innes

« Reply #10 on: 05/10/2013 at 10:02 »
Weren't Clan built on B&W blanks?

Harrison Rods do several 11 footers, but the lightest is a 6 weight in the UK range. They do several interesting rods for Sweden and in might be worth calling them to see what they are working on.
Yes they were Rob,  but the one I had was on a secret blank and was a #5. It was a real gem.  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 07/10/2013 at 07:58 »
Yes they were Rob,  but the one I had was on a secret blank and was a #5. It was a real gem.  :z16

A secret blank huh, interesting....

I think Fibatube used to do an 11 footer..but again, now sadly gone :(

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 07/10/2013 at 21:47 »
I know where there is an 11' Sage RPL, used once.  Sure £300 cash would see its release.

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com