Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Re: New wave rod building
« Reply #15 on: 04/10/2013 at 21:09 »
Part of the appeal of the first rod I built was the fact that so many other people had a barrio 3wt and were pleased with it. If I buy a blank from Mudhole unless it's a blank from a well known brand then how do you know what you're getting. Whilst Mudhole has a huge selection it's quite often stabbing in the dark!

Rob Brownfield

Re: New wave rod building
« Reply #16 on: 07/10/2013 at 07:55 »
Part of the appeal of the first rod I built was the fact that so many other people had a barrio 3wt and were pleased with it. If I buy a blank from Mudhole unless it's a blank from a well known brand then how do you know what you're getting. Whilst Mudhole has a huge selection it's quite often stabbing in the dark!

Is it not the same if buying in the UK? Mudhole only sell well known brands so for me, I don't think it would become an issue.

Its not like we can pop into a shop and have a waggle of a Sage or PacBay blank anywhere near Aberdeen. Every blank I have bought I have had to take a risk with, even UK blanks, but it is normally easy enough to get some info before ordering from various rod building forums or fellow anglers.

Sometimes you come up with a gem of a rod :)

Actually, I did buy a blank off Mike which I waggled... :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com