Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Shakey mods
« on: 23/09/2013 at 16:50 »
The one thing with float tubes in Scotland is that although you might blow them up in nice sunny conditions as soon as you enter the cold water the air pressure in the bladders decreases. It's basic laws of physics and you cannae change that.
It happened to me on Beanie this year in a wind that made coming ashore to blow them back up difficult to say the least.
I mulled over the whole problem and on a recent rip to that fine purveyor of all things DIY, B&Q, I came away with a light bulb.
B&Q sell clear plastic tubing that is the same diameter as the Shakey life jacket style inflation valves, 15mm OD and 13mm ID. If you find something to flare the end of the tubing and then apply a hot hair dryer so the plastic softens, shove the wedge in a bit further, heat more and then run under a cold tap to set the plastic, you get a great fit over the tube valve. I used part of a Neutrik 1/4" audio jack and I have spares if anyone wants one.
So what you end up with is this,

And if you leave them fitted to all the valves you get this

The rear bladder routes like this

I might over the winter see if I can route the rear one internally but right now it works just fine. So how did it perform?
Yesterday on Park, true to form, the bladders went soft about five minutes into the first session so two or three blows into each pipe and the Red Oktober was back to her excellent buoyant self. I made sure that I kept her out of the sun during lunch in case she heated up too much.
All the pipes tuck out of the way in the pockets whilst afloat so as not to snag fly lines. I reconnect the pipes after squeezing all the air out so that they retain the correct diameter and maintain a snug seal.

The other issue I have had with the Oktober is that breathable waders slip on the seat. I acquired some of that rubber matting that goes under rugs on laminate floors and velcroed that to the seat.

Now I don't slip around at all and it seems to stay stuck OK too. If the Velcro comes unstuck I'll find a better method fixing it down because the end result is pretty cool.  :z13

The best tube made better  :z16

:z1

Ben Dixon

Re: Shakey mods
« Reply #1 on: 23/09/2013 at 21:53 »
After a small amount of research Euan, I found the perfect addition / modification for the Shakey.  Use of one of these should sort all it's little issues.

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 23/09/2013 at 22:04 »
Ben,
That would heat the air up in the bladders so all would be good. However I feel that the fact that sensible valves on my tube out weighs the fact that your new wondertoob can't change pressure whilst afloat.

I can of course shorten this argument  :X

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 23/09/2013 at 22:26 »
Ben,
That would heat the air up in the bladders so all would be good. However I feel that the fact that sensible valves on my tube out weighs the fact that your new wondertoob can't change pressure whilst afloat.

I can of course shorten this argument  :X

Never had an issue with it going soft other than the first time i used it when I simply did not put in enough air.  I know how many pumps I put into each bladder and in which order and all is good, no problems after first use.  Any issues with slipping can be sorted by lifting the front of the seat a little using the factory fitted height adjuster strap, sorted.  I could also shorten the argument  :X5

Nice mods though, it is now closer to "how it should have been when it left the factory"  :z4

Ben

Euan Innes

« Reply #4 on: 24/09/2013 at 07:38 »
The seat was ok with neoprenes Ben, just not breathables.
As for the inflation pressure, even the Red Oktober 1 went soft when it went into cold water and I used a pump on that. I never liked the idea of over-inflating a bladder as they are always at the mercy of the weather. The Shakey valves stop that from happening.
I still think it's the dogs bits  :z4 :z4 :z4
Now looking for smaller fins for next year as the big dive ones are just too big.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #5 on: 24/09/2013 at 16:43 »
Aye big problem in oor northern parts, going soft in cold water I mean.  :oops

Why not breathables, I never use anything else in the float tube.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 26/09/2013 at 09:15 »
Why not breathables, I never use anything else in the float tube.

Same here now, with a set of arctic issue thermal quilted trousers underneath. Warm and not sweaty.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 30/09/2013 at 17:13 »
Lightweight.  :z4

Andy Finlay

« Reply #8 on: 03/10/2013 at 21:53 »
Never had an issue with it going soft other than the first time i used it

I had to read the rest to make sure you weren't taking the pee.

Good looking mod, have you also done the seat mod to stop you slipping forward?

Euan Innes

« Reply #9 on: 04/10/2013 at 07:27 »
have you also done the seat mod to stop you slipping forward?
Yes and it works. The last of my pictures shows the rubber matting stuck in place. It doesn't add much weight or height to the seat, just stops breathables slipping. With neoprenes I had no problem, but try walking anywhere in neoprenes!

Andy Finlay

« Reply #10 on: 04/10/2013 at 16:08 »
Where did you get the matting from, the seat mod I had described to me was a lot more work than just the foam so this would be good.

Kev Danby

« Reply #11 on: 04/10/2013 at 16:50 »
Check lidl or Aldi they had some in recently. Home bargains should have it.

Euan Innes

« Reply #12 on: 05/10/2013 at 09:08 »
What he said!
The seat mod I think you are referring to is the old Steve Parton practical joke fix. On the drawings that SP gave to Shakey the seat was fitted the wrong way round compared to the Sparton tube. Can't be added having it cut out and re-fitted so the mat rubber is my fix.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com