Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

flyloon

What flies
« on: 08/09/2013 at 21:30 »
Hi guys just wonder what you favourite flys to use on fishery you vist as I am thinking of visiting some as a iam still new to fly fishing any help you could give would be good as I have just been using dry flies up to now and feel I should now try some wet flies as most trout feed sub surface 

Rob Brownfield

Re: What flies
« Reply #1 on: 09/09/2013 at 08:07 »
No one answered yet...ok, scraping the bottom of the barrel, I will try and answer.

I tend to pretty much use only buzzers or spiders these days, although I do not fish a lot of fisheries.

My buzzers tend to be "realistic" patterns although I have a few"Okey Dokeys" if I think there are new fish in the water. I also have a few with UV backs for low light.

My buzzers are dressed from heavy through to "emerging" so I have something for fishing deep right the way through to fishing "in" the surface.

Added to the buzzers I have a few spiders that are dressed in black, brown, olive green and grey. They seem to work when the trout are nymphing just sub surface.

As the water cools, or early season, I may strip a cats whiskers or something black and "marabouey" on a sinking line.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 09/09/2013 at 19:58 »
Ask the fishery owner for advice when you get there and buy half a dozen flies of his/her choice :wink

The fishery owner or manager is always keen to see their customers catching fish ...... and returning another day!

Best wishes
Mike

flyloon

« Reply #3 on: 10/09/2013 at 06:47 »
Thanks for the advise lads much appreciatied .

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com