Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Re: Somers Job Vacancy
« Reply #15 on: 04/09/2013 at 16:52 »
Something very seriously wrong with this surely? ...... We all want to go into town and buy stuff in shops, but we wouldn't work there ourselves because the people serving us don't earn enough to maintain a decent standard of living? :z6

Cheers
Mike

Mike the fact that as individuals we decide to go or not go into shops will not effect the average wage of retail workers in the UK I think that everyone should be entitled to a decent living wage. I think this is part of the greater problem where wages are so low that you are as well off on benifits.

:z18

Jim

Matt Henderson

« Reply #16 on: 04/09/2013 at 20:11 »
Difficult one we all love a bargain. So people buy stuff from the interweb instead and even if people don't buy off the interweb they at the very least shop around a lot before they buy things. So as a retailer how do they hope to get a decent margin. They then cut the margin which has an impact on wage levels. It's a viscous circle. Low wages mean that people that are genuinely enthusiastic and knowledgable end up keeping it as a hobby rather than a job where they can pass on their knowledge and enthusiasm.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #17 on: 04/09/2013 at 20:40 »
Difficult one we all love a bargain. So people buy stuff from the interweb instead and even if people don't buy off the interweb they at the very least shop around a lot before they buy things. So as a retailer how do they hope to get a decent margin. They then cut the margin which has an impact on wage levels. It's a viscous circle. Low wages mean that people that are genuinely enthusiastic and knowledgable end up keeping it as a hobby rather than a job where they can pass on their knowledge and enthusiasm.

I hear what you are saying, but retail wages have always been low, even in the glory days of the high street shop in the 50's and 60's long  before the out of town supermarkets or the interweb existed.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #18 on: 04/09/2013 at 20:49 »
The average salary for a Retail manager (not assistant) in the UK is £25K which by coincidence is the average national salary in the UK. The average Oil Company salary in Aberdeen is £64K.

Not fair I know, but a fact of life.

http://www.totaljobs.com/salary-checker/average-retail-manager-salary

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com