Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Somers Job Vacancy
« on: 02/09/2013 at 16:34 »
Hi folks :z16

I see on FB that Somers Fishing Tackle shop in Aberdeen is advertising a job vacancy:

Job Vacancy - We are looking for a new member of staff. To work 4 or 5 days a week. Fishing experience is essential.
For more details please contact the shop on 01224 210008

Rob Brownfield

Re: Somers Job Vacancy
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/2013 at 08:11 »
Could be a nice wee change for Ben ;)

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 03/09/2013 at 11:01 »
I thought you were the one that had just resigned Rob?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 03/09/2013 at 13:38 »
I thought you were the one that had just resigned Rob?

Not sure I could survive on £3.50 and hour plus all the ragworm I could eat ;)

To tell the truth, if I was semi retired, I would jump at the chance.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 03/09/2013 at 18:04 »
Not sure I could survive on £3.50 and hour plus all the ragworm I could eat ;)

To tell the truth, if I was semi retired, I would jump at the chance.

Rob

They could not afford you  :z4

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 03/09/2013 at 23:21 »
Why doesn't a job like this appeal to people? It should do :roll

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 04/09/2013 at 07:55 »
Why doesn't a job like this appeal to people? It should do :roll

Cheers
Mike

Mike
Simply beacuse it will not pay enough money to maintain a decent standard of living. OK if you are retired or semi retired and just want an interest.

Jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 04/09/2013 at 08:26 »
Mike
Simply beacuse it will not pay enough money to maintain a decent standard of living. OK if you are retired or semi retired and just want an interest.

Jim

You've nailed it Jim, not sure how much they are offering however I'm sure it will be competitive when measured against other retailers.  The money isn't there to pay really.

Cheers

Ben 

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 04/09/2013 at 10:08 »
...but you get all the ragworm you can eat!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 04/09/2013 at 10:20 »
Something very seriously wrong with this surely? ...... We all want to go into town and buy stuff in shops, but we wouldn't work there ourselves because the people serving us don't earn enough to maintain a decent standard of living? :z6

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #10 on: 04/09/2013 at 10:41 »
Something very seriously wrong with this surely? ...... We all want to go into town and buy stuff in shops, but we wouldn't work there ourselves because the people serving us don't earn enough to maintain a decent standard of living? oh well

We don't all want to go to town Mike. I'll go to Banchory, but not Aberdeen.
I'll not go back into retail unless it is my own shop and I don't need the money. The best way to make a million out of a fishing tackle shop is to start with two.

Full time in a tackle shop in Aberdeen will probably only pay £16k MAX and that means, for me, no car, no nice house, and probably no fishing as all my money will be spent on just living. That would be like me and my wife living on just her wages and me having no income!  :shock
At least when I worked in Banchory I was in subsidized housing and the free fishing was on my doorstep. I still had to do other work to make ends meet.

Retail has never been treated as a proper job and until it is the wages will suck, and at the end of the day it is all about the money. Sad but true... :z6

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 04/09/2013 at 11:01 »
Hi Euan,

Sorry, by "into town" I meant to the shops ........ city, town or village.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 04/09/2013 at 12:42 »
I LOVE going to tackle shops.

I would be interested to see the throughput of a typical Scottish Game angling shop compared to that of a typical English Coarse shop.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 04/09/2013 at 16:16 »
I still think this is a great opportunity for a keen fisher, these jobs don't come up very often :z16

Cheers
Mike

Liam Stephen

« Reply #14 on: 04/09/2013 at 16:34 »
If I was back home I would jump at the opurtunity. Regardless of salary, I've always loved the idea of involving your passion with your work. I'm sure they'll find someone.

Cheers
Liam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com